Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise from suspension - resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My May 2008 LR Model 3 is going in for service next Tuesday. It has 18500 miles on it.
The squeaking, creaking, and groaning randomly started last Saturday and progressed to be extremely apparent when turning the wheel at all since then.

Received a pre-approval invoice and it's for replacement of the driver's side upper control arm assembly (1044321-00-H) and alignment.

I just hit 30,000kms and I'm starting to hear what I suspect to be a bad control arm in my 2019 Model 3. Mostly a slight creak when going over bumps at low speed, especially when turning.
2019 April build May delivery SR+. Just started croaking and creaking from the front end with 31,5000 kms. Also does it when turning steering wheel. Getting worse/louder every day. Luckily I have already been waiting 3 weeks for an appointment for a chrome flaking and bloating rear door handle. I only have to wait until this Friday for service. I was able to easily add it to my current appointment today. Stroke of good luck that it happened to flare up now and not later. It's really terrible to hear it groan. Hope the re-engineered part last longer than 16 months and 30,000 + kms.

2019 April build May delivery SR+. Just started croaking and creaking from the front end with 31,5000 kms. Also does it when turning steering wheel. Getting worse/louder every day. Luckily I have already been waiting 3 weeks for an appointment for a chrome flaking and bloating rear door handle. I only have to wait until this Friday for service. I was able to easily add it to my current appointment today. Stroke of good luck that it happened to flare up now and not later. It's really terrible to hear it groan. Hope the re-engineered part last longer than 16 months and 30,000 + kms.
I'm guessing you went to the service center for the appointment since a hoist would make suspension work a lot easier? The groan is getting quite annoying indeed, and I think my alignment is off because of it too. Seems to be getting worse but I'm waiting 1.5 months for my service appointment so I just have to deal with it for now, haha.

Everything you guys have said is exactly what I'm experiencing. Noticed the creaking sound a few days ago but thought nothing of it until I started hearing it going over bumps and now when going in and out of the garage every time.

Scheduled an appointment. Earliest time is 10/26.

I've also noticed that when driving the steering feels like it locks up for brief milliseconds so I've been taking it easy in the turns. Hopefully nothing dangerous happens until then...

With that said I wish I had yours. She is going in to Montreal SC tomorrow morning. Here is hoping they lend me a Model Y for the long weekend. yeah. Hoping but I expect some Enterprise ICE rental as usual.
Hah, if you get any loaner at the Vancouver service center, you're lucky in my experience! Usually you're taking the bus. Not to mention living on the island I have to pay $100 each way for the ferry. They joy! Hopefully they fix it for you, good luck!

They replaced 2 front control arms

right hand 1044326-98-G
left hand 1044321-98-G
performed validation test drive.

I asked service Rep why there was no indication of wheel alignment. Reply there was none necessary.
Internet sources seem to contradict this.

Future issues with uneven tire wear?

BTW I did get an old S60D loaner for the day. Car is back to normal quiet. they threw a box of mud flaps in the trunk.

right hand 1044326-98-G
left hand 1044321-98-G

I asked service Rep why there was no indication of wheel alignment. Reply there was none necessary.

BTW I did get an old S60D loaner for the day. Car is back to normal quiet. they threw a box of mud flaps in the trunk.
Wow, lucky man getting a loaner. No alignment seems sloppy to me, but not surprising given it is Tesla. Sure you can technically drive it after getting new control arms on a fairly new car, but certainly not how Mercedes or other high end brands would do it in my experience. If they actually put it on the rack and verified it is in spec, then sure makes sense. But my money is that the car never saw an alignment rack.

Everything you guys have said is exactly what I'm experiencing. Noticed the creaking sound a few days ago but thought nothing of it until I started hearing it going over bumps and now when going in and out of the garage every time.

Scheduled an appointment. Earliest time is 10/26.

I've also noticed that when driving the steering feels like it locks up for brief milliseconds so I've been taking it easy in the turns. Hopefully nothing dangerous happens until then...

Ok so my car sounds absolutely nothing like any of the videos I've watched including the one above. I heard a few squeaks with my window down days ago going over bumps in my neighborhood but now I'm not hearing anything anymore.

Contacted Unplugged Performance and they were kind enough to check my car out and they said nothing was wrong with my lowering springs nor did they see any issues with anything else so I'm going to cancel my appointment. Control arms are a-okay... for now.

Haven't taken a video of the sound but it hasn't been making it lately so not sure what exactly it was coming from.

I'll keep my ears open for it but the sounds in these videos are pretty bad lol

right hand 1044326-98-G
left hand 1044321-98-G

That is crazy they didn’t do an alignment.

@Threader, glad it is resolved and quiet but anytime suspension components are touched, an alignment is needed. Every manufacturer's own service guideline would recommend doing so. Ask the service manager to show you their service manual for control arm replacement - I would be shocked if the service manual didn't specify a 4 wheel alignment. If they are unwilling to show you then it's likely because they didn't do what they were supposed to.

Reactions: Sam1 and Threader