Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise from suspension - resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m having creaking noises while turning at low speeds or when stopped and I also got the unplugged moderate springs installed last month the creaking started the same week. I was doing some sound deadening in the front wheels wells and was wondering if this was a torn bushing?

Attachments

• 97482FCA-6B8C-40C6-B45E-3D23B8EB1D54.jpeg
    97482FCA-6B8C-40C6-B45E-3D23B8EB1D54.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 284
So I’m having creaking noises while turning at low speeds or when stopped and I also got the unplugged moderate springs installed last month the creaking started the same week. I was doing some sound deadening in the front wheels wells and was wondering if this was a torn bushing?
Also unplugged said they’re going to replace my springs with their new gen 4 springs that should be here in a few weeks. I thought they had finally figured out the noises but guess not :(

Also unplugged said they’re going to replace my springs with their new gen 4 springs that should be here in a few weeks. I thought they had finally figured out the noises but guess not :(
I'm glad they are replacing your springs and it shows they are a very customer-service oriented company. I really like all their products with the exception of their springs...hear me out. Most lowering springs whether Eibach, H&R, TSportline, etc don't require those plastic noise isolators and I think UP is the only one that uses those for Model 3 lowering springs. So either their rates combined with proximity of each coil causes them to rub together or the spring is rubbing on something else and the isolator is simply preventing metal/metal contact. I hope gen 4 doesn't require the isolators anymore.

I'm glad they are replacing your springs and it shows they are a very customer-service oriented company. I really like all their products with the exception of their springs...hear me out. Most lowering springs whether Eibach, H&R, TSportline, etc don't require those plastic noise isolators and I think UP is the only one that uses those for Model 3 lowering springs. So either their rates combined with proximity of each coil causes them to rub together or the spring is rubbing on something else and the isolator is simply preventing metal/metal contact. I hope gen 4 doesn't require the isolators anymore.
Yeah it’s cause they use a dual rate spring in theory it seems better in reality eh

Your bushing looks ok, there is a gap in the rubber on the front and back of the bushing which you are seeing in the photo. If that bushing tears, you will hear a clunk when you apply the brakes!

Glad I found this thread. I started hearing the creaking noise a few days ago and it has become more noticeable. Going around curves and over bumps when turning the wheel etc. Sounds exactly like the video @Threader posted, so assuming it’s the upper control arms. Mine is a 2018 AWD with 107k miles, so will definitely be out of warranty. Once I find out the cost I’ll share in case anyone is interested.

Completed my service at the Savannah, GA service center today. They really did a great job. Offered me a loaner but I had planned to stay and work while there, so I was in and out in 3 hours. Cost to replace the upper control arms was $747 including tax. They checked the alignment and determined all was well. They also rotated the tires for me free of charge (or forgot to charge me, either way invoice states $0.00 for tire rotation). Very pleased with the service I received.

I’m starting to suspect some loose bolts because my left front suspension started clunking over every bump this week
That is definitely a bushing that is in the process of tearing at the both side of the gap.

My end of 2018 Model 3 Lemur (nov 28 delivery) has had the creaking on drivers side for a few weeks now.

It’s now really bad and almost constant with any movement of car.
Going in next Wednesday and just received an email that they ordered a part
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, RH
Part #: 1044326-00-H

3 questions
Would this be for the drivers side?
Does it mean they are replacing only one side with the improved version?
Does the manual still require an alignment?

Thanks Ray

My end of 2018 Model 3 Lemur (nov 28 delivery) has had the creaking on drivers side for a few weeks now.

It’s now really bad and almost constant with any movement of car.
Going in next Wednesday and just received an email that they ordered a part
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, RH
Part #: 1044326-00-H

3 questions
Would this be for the drivers side?
Does it mean they are replacing only one side with the improved version?
Does the manual still require an alignment?

Thanks Ray
Probably Passenger side since it says RH (denotes right hand side). How many miles do you have on your 2018?

Ski

Probably Passenger side since it says RH (denotes right hand side). How many miles do you have on your 2018?

Ski
Thats what I was thinking. Found out they had LH in stock, but had to order the RH (why I got the parts ordered email)
They replaced them both this week.
Had Wednesday appointment but didn’t replace until Friday afternoon.
Will pick up on Tuesday.
She has 30,500miles.

I'm next. Started squeaking on Friday; have an appointment tomorrow (Tuesday) - they have both the LH & RH upper control arms listed on the estimate.

Also asked for all 4 brakes to be cleaned & lubed while it's up on the lift. For $68, it's worth them doing it vs. my time in the driveway.

As always, super pleased with my Service Center!

Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm next. Started squeaking on Friday; have an appointment tomorrow (Tuesday) - they have both the LH & RH upper control arms listed on the estimate.

Also asked for all 4 brakes to be cleaned & lubed while it's up on the lift. For $68, it's worth them doing it vs. my time in the driveway.

As always, super pleased with my Service Center!
Me too Murph. My service center in Dedham MA is awesome.

Reactions: dmurphy
Any idea as to how long it takes to resolve this issue? Dropped off my car on Saturday morning, and I thought it would take less then a day. Left it overnight expecting to have it picked up by Sunday. Looked at my TeslaFi account and it looks like they haven't touched it at all. It's just been sitting in the same exact place when I dropped it off.

Any idea as to how long it takes to resolve this issue? Dropped off my car on Saturday morning, and I thought it would take less then a day. Left it overnight expecting to have it picked up by Sunday. Looked at my TeslaFi account and it looks like they haven't touched it at all. It's just been sitting in the same exact place when I dropped it off.
Welcome to TMC. It's really not a matter of "how long it takes to resolve the issue" in your case but more like how long it takes before they're actually going to start working on your car. If your issue is the upper control arm replacement, it shouldn't take more than a few hours. I left my car in the morning and was able to pick up just after lunch and I suspect there was some downtime built into that. If they've had your car for that long it's likely just poor scheduling or short-staffed.