Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise from suspension - resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a service visit next week to fix this issue. This noise has gotten extremely loud and annoying over the last month. I'm told by the service center that I'll have to pay for it, since the car is out of warranty. This seems very unfair! if this is a known issue that essentially every car goes through at a certain point, why would they charge me if it's their fault they are putting faulty parts on my car that they know are going to fail?????
Anyone have any luck arguing that they should pay for this replacement even out of warranty?

Completed my service at the Savannah, GA service center today. They really did a great job. Offered me a loaner but I had planned to stay and work while there, so I was in and out in 3 hours. Cost to replace the upper control arms was $747 including tax. They checked the alignment and determined all was well. They also rotated the tires for me free of charge (or forgot to charge me, either way invoice states $0.00 for tire rotation). Very pleased with the service I received.
Mine is going in next week and my car is out of warranty. I feel like if it's a known issue that a significant amount of cars experience, I shouldn't have to pay the $747 to have it fixed even if car is out of warranty. Did you not feel that way? Or did you ask them to pay for it?

I have a service visit next week to fix this issue. This noise has gotten extremely loud and annoying over the last month. I'm told by the service center that I'll have to pay for it, since the car is out of warranty. This seems very unfair! if this is a known issue that essentially every car goes through at a certain point, why would they charge me if it's their fault they are putting faulty parts on my car that they know are going to fail?????
Anyone have any luck arguing that they should pay for this replacement even out of warranty?

Re-greasing the joint will likely stop the squeak for at least a period of time. I did my Model X while I wait for the parts to come in. So far, it’s gone and staying gone.

It’s an easy enough fix. I have a grease gun, so just put a very thin needle on it (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMO6XU/ ) and injected grease into the boot. Not too much so it swells up, but enough to lubricate the joint. Sealed up the tiny hole in the boot with some weatherstripping adhesive, and good to go.

It took about 2 days for the grease to work itself throughout the joint and the squeaking to stop, but stop it did.

If you’re out of warranty anyway, certainly can’t hurt! In the worst case, you have to replace it anyway.

Mine is going in next week and my car is out of warranty. I feel like if it's a known issue that a significant amount of cars experience, I shouldn't have to pay the $747 to have it fixed even if car is out of warranty. Did you not feel that way? Or did you ask them to pay for it?
I don’t really feel this way. Parts wear out eventually, and if they do so out of warranty it is what it is. I had suspension parts wear out on a Mazda around 100k miles and paid thousands to replace them. If they wear out during warranty then absolutely Tesla should cover the cost, but out of warranty it’s on the owner. As @dmurphy said you can try re-greasing the joint first to see if that fixes the problem.

Reactions: android04
I don’t really feel this way. Parts wear out eventually, and if they do so out of warranty it is what it is. I had suspension parts wear out on a Mazda around 100k miles and paid thousands to replace them. If they wear out during warranty then absolutely Tesla should cover the cost, but out of warranty it’s on the owner. As @dmurphy said you can try re-greasing the joint first to see if that fixes the problem.
I'd agree in general but not in this case, my warranty will expire by time vs milage by a long shot.

Tesla has a history of front end part issues across various models and this one is well documented on very young cars. Hitting the issue inside warranty vs out in this case is those folks drove 'just enough' within warranty, but the overall milage most experience this issue is well under 100k.

Tesla is now big enough and flush enough to do the right thing. Yeah I know how that sounds

Unfortunately it is just standard practice by all car companies for customers to pay for repairs outside the warranty period regardless on whether or not it is a "known" issue. The only saving grace is if the company decides the issue warrants a recall. For example, the Model S MCU issue. However, I would really doubt Tesla making this noisy suspension issue a recall as it doesn't cause any safety risk nor render the car undriveable. Be nice though.

Reactions: android04
I just had my upper control arm replaced (driver's side) for the second time because of squeaking. It sounded like a old by-the-hour motel bed. The same one was replaced about 2 years ago. I am out of warranty, but the SC only charged me for the parts ($90). No charge for the labor. I was pretty shocked especially since I didn't even ask for a discount. No dealer would have done this.

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65 and KenC
I just had my upper control arm replaced (driver's side) for the second time because of squeaking. It sounded like a old by-the-hour motel bed. The same one was replaced about 2 years ago. I am out of warranty, but the SC only charged me for the parts ($90). No charge for the labor. I was pretty shocked especially since I didn't even ask for a discount. No dealer would have done this.
Shocking and awesome. The service, not the motel bed analogy :)

My 2018 M3 MidRange just started this over the weekend (44K miles). Not quite as noisy as the pay-by-the hour joint, but noticeable. Put in service request with lingo re: upper control arm, SC called and said they ordered parts and set appt for 5/3. SC stated that while it's an annoyance, the car is safe to drive. Under warranty still, so estimate to repair is $0. Loaner car unlikely, looks like Uber credits for me.

my 2018 with 80,100km is going In for both control arms replaced under warranty. made the service request 3weeks ago before warranty ran out. parts were on back order. this in the new resivised part# 1044321-00-J on my invoice

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-211844_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-211844_Drive.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 288
Re-greasing the joint will likely stop the squeak for at least a period of time. I did my Model X while I wait for the parts to come in. So far, it’s gone and staying gone.

It’s an easy enough fix. I have a grease gun, so just put a very thin needle on it (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMO6XU/ ) and injected grease into the boot. Not too much so it swells up, but enough to lubricate the joint. Sealed up the tiny hole in the boot with some weatherstripping adhesive, and good to go.

It took about 2 days for the grease to work itself throughout the joint and the squeaking to stop, but stop it did.

If you’re out of warranty anyway, certainly can’t hurt! In the worst case, you have to replace it anyway.
Thanks for that info. I think I am going to try this route first. I am well out of warranty with 113k miles.

Well.… that was easy.
Major thanks to dmurphy. Received the needle from Amazon and injected grease into both right and left boots. I wish I had taken the before photos of boots. Boots were pretty compressed initially but got fat after pumping in some greases. I didn’t have to use the adhesive to seal them. Self-sealing and no leaks. Drove around the block a few times, but I could still hear squeaking. Drove over the curve in front of my garage several times while turning the steering wheel to far left and right several times and the noise started to go away. Finally, no more squeaking. A $6 needle, saved me a trip to SC and $600. Thank you dmurphy.

58A15DC3-D368-49D7-B05D-7069D5761936.jpeg
9FAF906C-F87E-4A6F-B0B9-7CF4463C5E8D.jpeg

Another step to add for those injecting grease would be to remove the pinch bolt to free the joint and rotate the joint after adding the grease, to better distribute the grease instead of waiting for it be moved around when driving. Might grab an 18g needle from work and 60cc syringe lol.

I thought I'd post this here in case anyone else was browsing like I was a week ago looking for a solution. My model 3 started making some creaking noises when going around turns/roundabouts a few weeks ago. It seemed to be coming form the front passenger wheel area. Over a couple weeks to got worse, and came from both front wheels. The noise also happened whenever I turned the steering wheel or went over a speedbump.

I tried lubing pars of the suspension with silicon, but that had minor if any affect. Searching here and elsewhere on Google led me to believe it was likely that the upper control arms needed replaced, and indeed that was the case.

I made an appointment with the Tesla service center about the creaking and it was fixed under warranty. They thought it would take a few days (service center seemed busy), so I had a new model Y as a loaner (it was fun to try out the Y). But it ended up getting fixed the same afternoon. My car is thankfully quiet again!

I know there are a lot of service center complaints on this board, but my experience with the Columbus center couldn't have been better.

I had the same issue but from the front drivers side suspension. Had the control arm replaced at the Memphis service center. That was back in sept 2022. Now it’s feb 2023 and it’s back again from the same side. What course of action should I take?

I had the same issue but from the front drivers side suspension. Had the control arm replaced at the Memphis service center. That was back in sept 2022. Now it’s feb 2023 and it’s back again from the same side. What course of action should I take?
Just keep putting in a service ticket. I’m out of warranty now and changed it out for the mountain pass performance fucas. Still getting a small creak so trying to figure out where it’s coming from now