Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise in suspension - replaced Front Suspension AFT Link

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 P85+ with 16000 miles had a creaking noise coming from the front drivers side of the car. It was subtle at first and progressively got worse. The noise would happen any time the suspension moved (turns, speed bumps, raising & lowering).

I finally had Tesla look at it and they repaired it under warranty. Thank you Tesla! Posting in case anyone has something similar happen.

Notes from Tesla:
Concern: Customer states: the vehicle has a squeaking noise in the front of vehicle while

driving. Customer says it sounds like the suspension.

Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis

Observed creaking noise from front left suspension when ride height is adjusted.

Inspected suspension components and found front left lower aft control link to be loose.

Recommend replacement with alignment check.

Corrections: Link - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH

Replaced front left lower aft control link. Performed alignment check and adjusted front left toe. Road tested with steering wheel and vehicle tracking straight. No noise present

during suspension movement.

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

FRONT SUSPENSION AFT LINK

ASSEMBLY (1048951-00-B)

Pay Type: Warranty

FWIW,
My 2014 P85+ with 16000 miles had a creaking noise coming from the front drivers side of the car. It was subtle at first and progressively got worse. The noise would happen any time the suspension moved (turns, speed bumps, raising & lowering).

I finally had Tesla look at it and they repaired it under warranty. Thank you Tesla! Posting in case anyone has something similar happen.

Notes from Tesla:
Concern: Customer states: the vehicle has a squeaking noise in the front of vehicle while

driving. Customer says it sounds like the suspension.

Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis

Observed creaking noise from front left suspension when ride height is adjusted.

Inspected suspension components and found front left lower aft control link to be loose.

Recommend replacement with alignment check.

Corrections: Link - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH

Replaced front left lower aft control link. Performed alignment check and adjusted front left toe. Road tested with steering wheel and vehicle tracking straight. No noise present

during suspension movement.

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

FRONT SUSPENSION AFT LINK

ASSEMBLY (1048951-00-B)

Pay Type: Warranty

FWIW, I had (almost) exactly the same symptoms and the same repair today, on my 2015 Model S 70D. In my case, I first heard creaking and groaning sounds beginning about a month or so ago. Then a week or so ago, I began to hear a sharp squeak when passing over sharp bumps such as depressed manhole covers. The tech said that this does not happen very often at this mileage. I do not recall hitting any major potholes or having any other experience that would cause an early failure. But it is possible I hit a pothole and then forgot about it by the time I noticed the noise. Diagnosis and repair took a bit more than 2 hours. Quite happy with the service center (Dedham, MA) -- and very glad they had the part on hand to do the work.

As a side note, i had conversations with two technicians. One had worked for BMW shops for 15 years, and the other had worked for a Mercedes dealership nearby that I had some experience with. They both said that they far preferred working for Tesla Motors and that Tesla treated them much better. I was glad to hear that.

As a side note, i had conversations with two technicians. One had worked for BMW shops for 15 years, and the other had worked for a Mercedes dealership nearby that I had some experience with. They both said that they far preferred working for Tesla Motors and that Tesla treated them much better. I was glad to hear that.
Would you have expected them to say otherwise of their employer to a customer, whether true or not?

Reactions: David29
For what it's worth, just brought our 2016 Model S into service center, 24,000 miles and sounds like we have a broken AFT link as well . . . may have hit a pothole or two but certainly nothing memorable . . . Let's see what the outcome is. Wondering if others have had the same problem - clicking noise in left front tire that ultimately led to not being able to turn the wheel . . .

For what it's worth, just brought our 2016 Model S into service center, 24,000 miles and sounds like we have a broken AFT link as well . . . may have hit a pothole or two but certainly nothing memorable . . . Let's see what the outcome is. Wondering if others have had the same problem - clicking noise in left front tire that ultimately led to not being able to turn the wheel . . .

What was the outcome? My front left wheel is rubbing the wheel well and was told an alignment would fix it but they couldn't align because the aft link was damaged by an "outside influence impact" so they're saying I hit something and warranty won't cover this

What was the outcome? My front left wheel is rubbing the wheel well and was told an alignment would fix it but they couldn't align because the aft link was damaged by an "outside influence impact" so they're saying I hit something and warranty won't cover this
I went through a puddle, pulled the bumper off. They showed me how it happened & I said that’s a design flaw, they said yes but I have to pay