TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Creaking Noise under acceleration. Motor mounts? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Tech_Guy, May 31, 2017.

1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Ludicrous + you say, well I got Ludicrous -

Ive noticed a noise under acceleration when in drive or reverse from a stop. I recorded this video in a parking garage to make the noise easier to record. I suspect motor mounts as it seems to make more noise when switching from acceleration in drive to acceleration in reverse. My thought is the motor is twisting under the acceration (forward or reverse) making the noise. In my mind id relate this to Motor mounts but id love some feedback...

Hoping someone might recognize this noise, I plan to contact the Service Center tomorrow about it...

2. KR1005

KR1005 Member

I had the same issue last year and this is the repair Tesla did. Apparently is something to do with the Shear Plates.Hope this helps. IMG_3112.JPG

• Helpful x 1
  3. David.85D

David.85D Member

I haven't had that on my Tesla, but did have similar creaking on a BMW - that one was a slightly loose reinforcement plate (think subframe) that hadn't been torqued to full spec.

4. Acho

Acho Member

I had similar issue and this is copy/paste from my post regarding it:

I got my car back from SC. They replaced both rear halfshafts and Corresponding parts of the assembly and the clunk is gone.

This is copy/paste from the invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Creaking / clunking from rear when accelerating. Please check and advise.

Corrections: Perform Validation Test Drive
    Confirmed customers concern for creaking noise when accelerating.

Corrections: Rear Axle / Hub Bearing Assy - 2

-Replaced Rear LH and Rear RH axle assembly. -Replaced Rear LH and Rear RH hub. -Adjusted suspension components to torque specifications.
    -Vehicle operates as designed after test drive.

Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity

REAR HALFSHAFT 36 MM, PERFORMANCE 2 (1007719-01-B)

RR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY 2 PERFORMANCE (1027170-00-A)

WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2

NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- 2 A)

5. Tech_Guy

Thanks for everyones feedback!! SC got me in and out in 1 hour AMAZING SERVICE... I made the noise for the tech and he immediately knew what it was...

heres the report

Concern: front suspension makes a creaking noise while accelerating

Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis

replaced front axle nut and washer on both sides Corrections: Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH

replaced on front only not rear

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2

NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- 2 A)​

• Like x 1
  6. David.85D

David.85D Member

Interesting it was axle nuts. On most cars they are torqued and then staked to lock them in place. I recall thinking mine didn't have the staking done and just imagined the design didn't need it. Maybe it does ... lol....

7. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

i swear our cars are twins...

concern: customer states: creaking from front during acceleration and deceleration.
    verified customer concerns: re-torqued front axles and after repairs noise no longer present.

• Love x 1
  8. Tech_Guy

You must drive like I do hahahah

• Funny x 1
  9. cteomd

cteomd New Member

Had same symptoms, grinding noise during acceleration and breaking. It was axle nut washer for me also - changed and problem gone ;)

10. evrevo

evrevo Member

11. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

SO, turns out the rear axle can make some noises too. i was getting an escalating severity clunking noise. i thought it was from the front and seemed to happen on accelerator lift and during right turn brake application. so i thought it was the front CV joints. took it to the SC this morning and they in turn took it on a little test drive and determined it was from the rear. solution, replace bolts and washers on the rear axle and add "silicone" come place. the tesla p90d, always an adventure...

12. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

Does anyone know where these bolts are and what the torque should be?
    I've been hearing a click from the rear for a bit and now I can't un-hear it :-/ My car is out of warranty and I've already spent almost $1500 on unanticipated repairs. I figure it's worth a shot to put the car on ramps and crawl under it with a torque wrench.

13. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

that would be much easier than setting up a service appointment as well..

14. David.85D

David.85D Member

Axle nut washer is the big arse nut that holds the axle into the hub. Remove the wheel and you'll be looking at it. On some cars, you can get a socket on it by removing the center cap. Think it works on the rears at least. Have someone counterhold the wheel by stepping on the brakes.

The fronts are torqued to 205 Nm, Rears 245 Nm. Don't know if rear P axles have a higher torque.

I have a 3/4" drive torque wrench I use for axle nuts (on other cars, haven't done this on a tesla). Some of the better 1/2" drive models will do it, but takes some grunting.

15. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

245! hahah eh, ill let tesla break their own tools.

16. David.85D

David.85D Member

Can't edit my post. Should start "Axle Nut AND Washer is the big arse nut AND lock washer..."

17. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

You guys have phenomenal hearing or maybe mine just really sucks as I'd likely never hear that... LOL :) Glad Tesla took care of you.

Jeff