Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking Noise under acceleration. Motor mounts? Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tech_Guy

ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade
May 6, 2016
Los Angeles
Ive noticed a noise under acceleration when in drive or reverse from a stop. I recorded this video in a parking garage to make the noise easier to record. I suspect motor mounts as it seems to make more noise when switching from acceleration in drive to acceleration in reverse. My thought is the motor is twisting under the acceration (forward or reverse) making the noise. In my mind id relate this to Motor mounts but id love some feedback...

Hoping someone might recognize this noise, I plan to contact the Service Center tomorrow about it...

I had the same issue last year and this is the repair Tesla did. Apparently is something to do with the Shear Plates.Hope this helps.
IMG_3112.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I had similar issue and this is copy/paste from my post regarding it:

I got my car back from SC. They replaced both rear halfshafts and Corresponding parts of the assembly and the clunk is gone.

This is copy/paste from the invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Creaking / clunking from rear when accelerating. Please check and advise.

Corrections: Perform Validation Test Drive
Confirmed customers concern for creaking noise when accelerating.

Corrections: Rear Axle / Hub Bearing Assy - 2

-Replaced Rear LH and Rear RH axle assembly. -Replaced Rear LH and Rear RH hub. -Adjusted suspension components to torque specifications.
-Vehicle operates as designed after test drive.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

REAR HALFSHAFT 36 MM, PERFORMANCE 2 (1007719-01-B)

RR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY 2 PERFORMANCE (1027170-00-A)

WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2

NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- 2 A)

Thanks for everyones feedback!! SC got me in and out in 1 hour AMAZING SERVICE... I made the noise for the tech and he immediately knew what it was...

heres the report

Concern: front suspension makes a creaking noise while accelerating

Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis

replaced front axle nut and washer on both sides Corrections: Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH

replaced on front only not rear

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2

NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- 2 A)​

Reactions: jeffro01
Interesting it was axle nuts. On most cars they are torqued and then staked to lock them in place. I recall thinking mine didn't have the staking done and just imagined the design didn't need it. Maybe it does ... lol....

SO, turns out the rear axle can make some noises too. i was getting an escalating severity clunking noise. i thought it was from the front and seemed to happen on accelerator lift and during right turn brake application. so i thought it was the front CV joints. took it to the SC this morning and they in turn took it on a little test drive and determined it was from the rear. solution, replace bolts and washers on the rear axle and add "silicone" come place. the tesla p90d, always an adventure...

Does anyone know where these bolts are and what the torque should be?
I've been hearing a click from the rear for a bit and now I can't un-hear it :-/ My car is out of warranty and I've already spent almost $1500 on unanticipated repairs. I figure it's worth a shot to put the car on ramps and crawl under it with a torque wrench.

Axle nut washer is the big arse nut that holds the axle into the hub. Remove the wheel and you'll be looking at it. On some cars, you can get a socket on it by removing the center cap. Think it works on the rears at least. Have someone counterhold the wheel by stepping on the brakes.

The fronts are torqued to 205 Nm, Rears 245 Nm. Don't know if rear P axles have a higher torque.

I have a 3/4" drive torque wrench I use for axle nuts (on other cars, haven't done this on a tesla). Some of the better 1/2" drive models will do it, but takes some grunting.