Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking Panoramic Roof is Making Me Crazy!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my sunroof gasket/seal replaced a few weeks ago due to a leak, and ever since the my panoramic roof has been creaking like crazy. The creaking noise goes away when I vent / open the room. Ive tried bending the metal tab down, putting felt tape on the metal tab (a little and ALOT), putting felt tape along the leading edges of the glass/frame, cleaning the new rubber seal/gasket and conditioning same... all have been with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I hate to take up the time of the SC if it's something I can remedy myself (that I havent thought of yet), otherwise I guess its goes in for service.

If it's an older model, the metal tabs should have a rubber covering. The ticking sound drove me nuts until I figured out that the piece of rubber I found and stored for several months was to cover the tab. There should be three of them. Without it, tapping the glass made a "tick" sound, which is the tab hitting the lip of the roof assembly. The rubber closes the space up tight. Open the roof about 1/2 way and take a look back with a flashlight. Tesla replaced the entire glass assembly rather than reglue the rubber. Whatevs.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
If it's an older model, the metal tabs should have a rubber covering. The ticking sound drove me nuts until I figured out that the piece of rubber I found and stored for several months was to cover the tab. There should be three of them. Without it, tapping the glass made a "tick" sound, which is the tab hitting the lip of the roof assembly. The rubber closes the space up tight. Open the roof about 1/2 way and take a look back with a flashlight. Tesla replaced the entire glass assembly rather than reglue the rubber. Whatevs.

where are these tabs?

The tabs are on the rear underside of the glass. They hold the back of the glass onto the body. I do not know if they updated the part, but on a 2015 MS they are visible if you open the sunroof about half way, stick your head in the hole and look to the rear under the glass with a flashlight. There should be 3 tabs with a rubber covering (right, middle, left). These slide forward with the glass and wedge under the rear lip of the sunroof hole to hold the glass down against the weather stripping. If you see the metal of the tab, the rubber is missing. Without the rubber, the glass vibrates and the metal tabs make contact with the body. Tick tick tick, and likely leak as well since the glass won't be tight against the weatherstripping. If there are no tabs, you may have an updated part. The tech at the SC didn't know they were there either. They replaced the glass assembly instead of just gluing the piece back on.

EDIT:

Ah, we are typing together....just saw your last post. Check to make sure they are in good repair and not broken or loose. Beyond that, I dunno.

The tabs are on the rear underside of the glass. They hold the back of the glass onto the body. I do not know if they updated the part, but on a 2015 MS they are visible if you open the sunroof about half way, stick your head in the hole and look to the rear under the glass with a flashlight. There should be 3 tabs with a rubber covering (right, middle, left). These slide forward with the glass and wedge under the rear lip of the sunroof hole to hold the glass down against the weather stripping. If you see the metal of the tab, the rubber is missing. Without the rubber, the glass vibrates and the metal tabs make contact with the body. Tick tick tick, and likely leak as well since the glass won't be tight against the weatherstripping. If there are no tabs, you may have an updated part. The tech at the SC didn't know they were there either. They replaced the glass assembly instead of just gluing the piece back on.

EDIT:

Ah, we are typing together....just saw your last post. Check to make sure they are in good repair and not broken or loose. Beyond that, I dunno.
Yep, they look good. Rubber cover is 100% intact and not lose. To my ears, it sounds like the creaking is coming from the front... I have some Pfledge on the way. Maybe that will help.