TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Creaking sound coming from front of car when accelerating on 'standard' suspension

Discussion in 'Model X' started by electricxnola, Jan 25, 2017.

1. electricxnola

electricxnola Member

When I punch the accelerator, there is a creaking sound that comes from the front end around 30-40 mph. It doesn't happen when the car is on 'low' suspension. The Tesla guy is coming to check it out on Friday and said this is a known issue and there doesn't appear to be a fix for it. Is anyone else having this problem? Did Tesla fix the issue?

2. hmmm

hmmm Member

FYI I had something similar on my S just yesterday and the tech mentioned that they had seen this with some Xs under acceleration when the car is "squatting". They replaced the front right half shaft and this took care of it.

3. Epymian

Epymian Member

They fixed it in my June shipped MX last November with a right front half shaft replacement. I notice it is back again just over 2 months later.

Before, it was only if I punched it but now even on slower acceleration from a stop. I read that some issues came from having the air suspension up high as apparently the shocks can "burp" or something with the initial acceleration but running the suspension on the second lowest setting has not changed the judder in any way.

I have a scheduled service in May so will have them look at it again.