Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound from front suspension, second replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My early 2020 M3 Sr+ has 90,000 Kms (56000 Miles) on it. In January I had some really bad creaking noise while turning and going over bumps. During that time the car was still under warranty. Right before the end of the warranty at 80,000kms, both front control arms were replaced under warranty. Now for the past couple of months, I have been having the same issue with noise. The noise was gone for the 3-5 weeks I had the car back but then slowly came back and got worse. The car is currently at my local service center. This time they want to replace Lateral and Compliance links on both sides in the front.

Now since the car is out of warranty, this is costing me $1500. I asked my technical if this has anything to do with the control arms replacement that was done and he said the links are standard parts that wear and tire over time. At the time of changing control arms, he said they didn't notice anything wrong with those parts. He also told me that when they replaced the control arms under warranty it might not have fixed the problem.

I'm now super confused, is it common for these parts to fail and something I'm gonna have to look out for going forward? I'm also not sure if replacing the control arms affected the links in any way. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks for any help!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
One of the tech's at the SC told me it's a water intrusion issue with the upper control arm ball joint. Heavy cars tend to wear out ball joints/bushings that is just a given. Assuming lateral link is the lower control arm and the compliance link is the compression rod, those bushings can wear as well, especially the compression rod bushing. Chassis ears can locate the source of the noise. I am sure they have that tool at the SC.

My early 2020 M3 Sr+ has 90,000 Kms (56000 Miles) on it. In January I had some really bad creaking noise while turning and going over bumps. During that time the car was still under warranty. Right before the end of the warranty at 80,000kms, both front control arms were replaced under warranty. Now for the past couple of months, I have been having the same issue with noise. The noise was gone for the 3-5 weeks I had the car back but then slowly came back and got worse. The car is currently at my local service center. This time they want to replace Lateral and Compliance links on both sides in the front.

Now since the car is out of warranty, this is costing me $1500. I asked my technical if this has anything to do with the control arms replacement that was done and he said the links are standard parts that wear and tire over time. At the time of changing control arms, he said they didn't notice anything wrong with those parts. He also told me that when they replaced the control arms under warranty it might not have fixed the problem.

I'm now super confused, is it common for these parts to fail and something I'm gonna have to look out for going forward? I'm also not sure if replacing the control arms affected the links in any way. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks for any help!
Interesting