TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Creaking sound in Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by minsup23, Oct 12, 2018.

1. mfrey

mfrey Member

I need to bring mine in for service. Driving me crazy when going over bumps the passenger side sounds like it is going to fall off. Both the front and back.

2. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Mine is not a rattle, it is a very distinct “creak” sound like walking on a loose floorboard or a spring compressing.
    I hear it when I accelerate and when I slow down.
    I was going to make a service appointment but I think I will wait a little linger and see if something else comes up. The thought of dropping off the car, getting a loner etc is a bit of a pain.

3. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

Like other have said, the creak I get seems to occur more in lower temperatures. I think it is coming from my seat because I can hear it when I shift my weight when parked. Who knows.....

4. BrianM3

BrianM3 New Member

I get a plastic creaking sound under moderate acceleration or deceleration. I am able to make it go away by moving the seat forward/backward a tad. It will go away for a while and eventually come back, and I can move the seat again and it goes away again. I can push myself back in the seat to duplicate the sound, which also goes away with I move the seat. For me at least, It seems to be something that needs some tension or something in the seat.

5. stillwaiting

stillwaiting Member

I'm getting my car back today, its raining and they claim to have fixed it by adjusting the interior. I think it will have to go back on a sunny day again :(

6. acalbear

acalbear Member

Check the center console side panels. The sides of the console snap into the main center console. Was able to recreate the creaking sound by squeezing the side of the console and the center console together. Apparently, the pressure fit clips used to join the side to the center are sometimes loose or not fully inserted resulting in a plastic against plastic creaking sound.

7. stillwaiting

stillwaiting Member

No response today, perhaps tomorrow

8. reheat

reheat Member

Had my M3 awd for three months and just started hearing the creaking noise coming from the rear yesterday. Glad to see this thread and the resolutions. Hopefully it's just a simple fix like tightening the suspension.

9. stillwaiting

stillwaiting Member

My car is back, they looked up their internal software called "toolbox" and found a similar reported issue and fix. The fix performed was to adjust the C-Pillar lining. Since its raining, I cannot call this issue resolved, will report back on a sunny day.

10. cmyke

cmyke Member

Just noticed this on mine. Creaks when accelerating and when letting off the accelerator.

They actually retorqued my front suspension due to a clicking sound a few months ago. Sounds like they aren’t appropriately “seating” the suspension during assembly.

11. MSMtm3NC

MSMtm3NC New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching this thread for a while as my Model 3 has also been suffering from the creaky floorboard sound upon initial acceleration and coming to a stop. I recently got it back from the SC and so far the issue seems to have been resolved. Here are the notes from my invoice:

"Found support bar on rear aero shield making contact with strut. Adjusted support bar and test drove to confirm repair."

I will update if the sound returns. But it has gone from being extremely pronounced and consistent to completely silent since the repair, and it has not rained in several days, so I am hopeful.

• Informative x 1
  12. Ruebs

Ruebs New Member

For those of you who have a creak coming from the seat that you can reproduce by shifting your weight around in the seat, is your seat all the way back? I always have my seat all the way back and had a creak that got worse as the days went by. Took it in to the SC and they replaced the entire seat. At first, the creak was gone but it came back slowly over a few weeks. Decided to try to fix it myself by finding the creak and lubing it. Turns out it comes from the little tabs in the seat rails that stop the seat from going back too far. If you have your seat all the way back, the tabs on the track will rub against the carriers. Lubing it did not help, so I just moved my seat forward the tiniest bit so that it no longer rubs and the sound is permanently gone. Give it a shot, it's easy enough to try!

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Ruebs, this matches my experience exactly. They replaced my seat and the noise is gone but I feel like it's going to come back soon. Before the replacement, moving the passenger seat forward a little made the noise go away so I'll just stick with that.

14. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

This thread is full of many different noises and possible solutions. Our dual motor car started creaking on acceleration from the rear a month or so ago - probably at around 12,000 miles. Now, at 18,000 miles, the front has also started to creak. To me, it sounds like it's coming from the subframe or drive unit mounting, so I suspect re-torquing the bolts will resolve this, as some others have mentioned. I guess I'll set up a service appointment and get another door ding (or maybe I'll get under there and do it myself). :/

15. cgwiita

cgwiita Member

My P3D also had "creaking" doors, made worse by the cold weather. The cause (for this particular noise) is the door seals interfacing with the painted metal surfaces. Acceleration/deceleration cause the doors to shift--it's a small movement but the large amount of surface area results in a pretty bad creaking noise. Solution was to lubricate the seals (both the door seals on the chassis side, and the bulb seals wrapping around the door) with AC602/2, a PFPE oil from Nye/LIP, available here: https://shop.newgatesimms.com/product/ac602-2/

A cheaper option that's easier to apply invisibly is Gummi Plfege: https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

I've used both for similar glass/metal/rubber interfaces noises on other cars. Cause boy does that *sugar* annoy me.

16. sperkin

sperkin Member

My AWD is doing this now. Kind of embarrassing when taking co-workers to lunch. My appointment with service center is a month away and this is driving me crazy.

17. aspec818

aspec818 Member

did you ever figure out what the rattle on your right side was? I have a consistent rattle that occurs at freeway speeds of 65+ mph. The wind seems to affect the rattle. Tesla mobile already came out twice to fix the rattle but they weren't able to figure it out. The tech affixed all wire/clips, etc behind the panel and checked for loose screws rolling around behind the speaker. In likelihood it isn't something loose in the door panel because the wind affects it. Here's a video of the continuous rattle at speeds. You might need to turn up the volume to hear the rattle over the road noise. It's driving me nuts and my car only has 1k miles. anyone have a clue what this could be? I'm bringing my car in for service Wednesday and i hope they can diagnose the issue.

18. lozza

lozza Member

My rear creaking was fixed. They claimed it was the rear sway bar bushings that needed greasing... Either way the creak noise has gone :)

They also fixed 2 front squeak rattles.

I was very clear that I wouldn't drop off the car without a drive with a technician (they call it an NVH drive), as I said I want to avoid the 'we can't fix what we can't reproduce' syndrome... So we drove for about 20 mins and over the type of surface needed to play the squeak symphony.

Fingers crossed it stays quiet in the cabin... When you finally do get the quiet it really is great!

19. ampitupco

ampitupco New Member

I, too, took my car for various other issues and the squeaks and rattles have been fixed. A re-torque of the suspension and adjustment of some padding (?) around the back seat area. So far so good.

• Helpful x 1
  20. scwilliams52

scwilliams52 Member

I have the exact same problem on my 3D. From the thread, it can be fixed very easily. I'm happy about that! Love this car.