Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys! I'm new here. Sorry I don't speak english fvery much. I have a creaking sound when the temperature is aroun 0 Celcius. This is a video of my creaking sound. Please help me find solution cause it,s sound like a cheap car :(

I had a really annoying intermittent rattle/creak when I started moving, and sometimes when I braked or went over a bumpy road. Two service center visits resulted in them taking apart my rear suspension and putting it back together (both times). Then on a third visit the sound happened while the service person was getting into the rear seat to listen for the sound. A light bulb went off in his head and he went off to look for something, then came back with a piece of felt-like material with a sticky side so it can be used like tape. He put it on the location where the seat attaches to the latch that holds it in place when it is in the upright position (unused when the seat is in the down position). That solved the problem, finally, more than a year after I purchased the vehicle (it had the annoying sound the whole time).

I drove our Model 3 Midrange RWD through a good bit of water today following a heavy rain. Afterward, the suspension on the front-left side began a dull creaking when it was compressed or decompressed -- going over bumps and rises. Seems like some lube may have been washed off (?).

I drove our Model 3 Midrange RWD through a good bit of water today following a heavy rain. Afterward, the suspension on the front-left side began a dull creaking when it was compressed or decompressed -- going over bumps and rises. Seems like some lube may have been washed off (?).
To clarify, the conditions were typical wet streets with puddles here and there. Nothing extreme, but enough for frequent splashing.

I hear a rattle intermittently by driver side front window. At first I thought it was speaker crackle but then I muted audio and still hear it. You could call it a creak with a little rattle thrown in.

Try reaching forward to put a little downward pressure on the sound bar on the far left side where the windshield meets the dashboard when the creaking sound is present. Please let us know if that isolates the origin of the creak.

Hi from Spain!
I hope you can help,
I've got a creaking sound on the Model3, and per the posts I think it is the same users had on the first posts. I have a video (excuse my english):

Here my nearest service center here is 500km away, they have scaled the problem to enginnering, It will help me if someone can identify exactly the creaking like this and you can point me to any specific service center actuation that solved the problem.
Thanks,

Hi from Spain!
I hope you can help,
I've got a creaking sound on the Model3, and per the posts I think it is the same users had on the first posts. I have a video (excuse my english):

Here my nearest service center here is 500km away, they have scaled the problem to enginnering, It will help me if someone can identify exactly the creaking like this and you can point me to any specific service center actuation that solved the problem.
Thanks,
I can't tell if your issue is similar / same to one we had, but my wife's Model 3 had a squeaky / creaking front driver's seat. Tesla service located the source of the sound in the seat, took the seat out, took the seat apart, and stuffed it with batting/insulation around the source of the noise. It fixed the annoying noise.

Maybe try squirming in the seat? It would seem that since the sound is so clear in the cabin of your Model 3, it might be that the sound is originating from the cabin area. I think it is unusual, and wish you good luck in resolving it!

My P3D also had "creaking" doors, made worse by the cold weather. The cause (for this particular noise) is the door seals interfacing with the painted metal surfaces. Acceleration/deceleration cause the doors to shift--it's a small movement but the large amount of surface area results in a pretty bad creaking noise. Solution was to lubricate the seals (both the door seals on the chassis side, and the bulb seals wrapping around the door) with AC602/2, a PFPE oil from Nye/LIP, available here: https://shop.newgatesimms.com/product/ac602-2/

A cheaper option that's easier to apply invisibly is Gummi Plfege: https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

I've used both for similar glass/metal/rubber interfaces noises on other cars. Cause boy does that *sugar* annoy me.

I second this solution. My P3D- started creaking (during accel and decel) at about the 4000 mile mark and was driving me crazy. I had my son sit in the back seat to try to pinpoint the source, and he said it sounded like the rear door panels. I was just about to call for a service appointment when I read this. Wiped my rear door seals down with a light coat of WD-40 and the noise is now gone! Thanks for the tip.

• Informative
Reactions: dwalme and Jaywlker
Here's , the text message from the service center:

In regards to the repairs on your Tesla, our technicians are recommending we perform a suspension torque check on your vehicle to ease the creaking noise. This is recommended annually as general maintenance. The cost is $227.5 to proceed. Please let me know if you would like us to go ahead with the servicing and if you would like a list of any other annual maintenance than we recommend. Thank you!

In other words they recommend I spend 227 bucks every year to torque the suspension. This is not listed on their website as annual recommended maintenance like cabin filter, tire rotation, etc.

Hopefully their list of annual recommended maintenance doesn't keep growing.