Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2 winters of this creaking noise in cold climates I finally got some resolution after my car went in for HW3. I had to bribe the SC staff with lunch as I didn't include this in my appointment request. But here is the diagnosis @ 6k miles

Concern: Customer states noise coming from passenger rear suspension
Verified customers concern at time of service visit. Found passenger rear half shaft to require cleaning and lubrication.
Verified noise eliminated following repair with validation test drive.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

I developed a creaking noise a week after I brought the car in to SC for wheel alignment and door adjustment. Noise coming from the rear while accelerating and deceleration only.

Is this something mobile service can check out? Anyone use mobile service for things like this with success?

Happened to me just before bumper-to-bumper ran out. I got some hassle about “we don’t fix squeaks, now” but it was really bad, I persisted with this new guy, and persevered getting it covered by Tesla. Required an upper control in the front replacing. Apparently it is the bushing that cracks but it is all one part.

If it is outside warranty my understanding the part is only about $150 or something and suitable for DIY with about an hour of modest mechanical skill. Maybe some extra work in the rear version.

Reactions: dwalme
Had the same issues at 14k miles and the Buena Park SC fixed it. What helped was that I took a video of the creaking occurring. And as we exited the SC on the test drive, the technician heard it right away. They replaced front left and right stabilizer arms and upper control arms. Took a few days for them to fix.

Check the center console side panels. The sides of the console snap into the main center console. Was able to recreate the creaking sound by squeezing the side of the console and the center console together. Apparently, the pressure fit clips used to join the side to the center are sometimes loose or not fully inserted resulting in a plastic against plastic creaking sound.
I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this old comment but I've tracked my creaks down to these side panels. Did you need to add any padding behind the panels to stop the creaking or was 'persuading' them into place enough?

I've been trying to figure this out too. The rear of mine is 1/2" higher than the front. I wish I knew what components are exclusive to the P3D+. Hopefully service will let me know one day.
Isn't it supposed to be lower than the regular M3
I asked about this at service center and they couldn't tell me what the height should be
user manual doesn't have it either
*Values are approximate. Dimensions can vary depending on a vehicle's options and various other factors.

I guess try and find another one to compare to