Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/Squeaking control arm ball joint fix

acadapter

Dec 16, 2016
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I just started hearing this on my DEC2016 MX, 64k mi. Ironically, I'm going in for my screen yellowing on the 18th, and the service center automatically added the "reseal front upper control arm ball joints" on the ticket at zero charge.

This was added maybe a week or so before my appointment and I hadn't mentioned it previously. Hopefully it resolves the issue as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-184742.png
    Screenshot_20210811-184742.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 26

EV-Tiger

Mar 5, 2018
Cypress, TX
Does anybody have a video/audio recording of the sound? My 2018 MX started making this sound a few weeks ago. I have a SC appointment, but curious. My car *does* have the infamous "shudder" but I don't drive it hard at all. I made a video shows me just driving slowly with all kinds of squeaking and squawking. Seems to be coming from passenger side, at startup and gentle acceleration. Mostly heard on bumpy roads and while turning. Will try to post it to YouTube so I can share it here.
This sounded exactly like my problem. I dropped off my 2020 Model X Raven today and the Tesla SC Advisor told me this creaking (mine is on the front drivers side) is a known issue with the control arm. Said it will take 2-3 days to repair and that Tesla does not have a recall for this problem but Tesla has issued a bulletin.

EV-Tiger

Mar 5, 2018
Cypress, TX
A
This sounded exactly like my problem. I dropped off my 2020 Model X Raven today and the Tesla SC Advisor told me this creaking (mine is on the front drivers side) is a known issue with the control arm. Said it will take 2-3 days to repair and that Tesla does not have a recall for this problem but Tesla has issued a bulletin.

As an update, yesterday (took less than one day to repair) Tesla performed the following repairs to correct squeaks coming from my front driver side:

1. "Reseal Area Around Both Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints With Urethane". I understand there is a service bulletin for this - $0.00
2. "Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment Check) (Remove & Replace)" - $0.00

All repairs were performed quickly and covered under warranty.

Reactions: bhorn

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC