Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/Squeaking control arm ball joint fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to use a large pair of pliers to sort of clamp it together to get it to go in. I prob could have done it by hand but pliers made it easier.
fyi, u just need to stick the flat head screw driver here n pry slightly, this will open up the claw for the ball joint to drop in easy

1661448882066.png

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I had suspension noise/rumble at low speeds over bumps. First Tesla replaced the control arm $800, but this didn't fix the problem. Tesla said, oh, that was so loose it was a safety issue. Then then replaced LH and RH aft lower suspension links. They said this fixed the problem, maybe, but that was another $1200. At the same time, they said the sway bar was loose and replaced RH sway bar link as goodwill. Who knows. I have since emailed the manager with a reference to these threads... :)

2014 P85
I have this too......took it in and they could not find anything to fix they said. But yet I still hear it when I go over bumps. Did you ever get this resolved for you?

Thanks @Jillmark99! I showed this thread to a local auto shop. They removed the urethane seal, allowing them to move the rubber boot and directly apply more white grease (that’s what was in there). They then moved the ball around as you described to distribute the grease and then resealed. Did both front arms (although only one really needed it) for one hour of labor. My squeak was instantly gone!

Thanks @Jillmark99! I showed this thread to a local auto shop. They removed the urethane seal, allowing them to move the rubber boot and directly apply more white grease (that’s what was in there). They then moved the ball around as you described to distribute the grease and then resealed. Did both front arms (although only one really needed it) for one hour of labor. My squeak was instantly gone!
I’m glad it helped.

The pinch bolt is a one time use stretch bolt, at least according to Tesla.

FSM is available for anybody, for free here:
Thanks for the reminder about the free service manual. I think mine said they expire in May 2023.

Remove and discard the bolt and nut that secure the upper control arm ball joint to the knuckle (torque 60 Nm).

2015-2020 Model X Service Manual (vs Palladium above)
LH [drivers side - underhood fuse box side]
RH [passenger side]

Yes. Each item in my ticket has a the same fee. I’ll ask once I get a final estimate If it really costs me $92 for them to wiggle the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 47836BFF-E794-4495-914F-D229BBF9E699.png
    47836BFF-E794-4495-914F-D229BBF9E699.png
    675.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Looks like $90 per side to fix is still accurate, but it is a bit odd to charge the $92 fee to diagnose a well known problem. Hopefully they remove that when they actually repair it, but even $270 for this fix is darn reasonable on a 6+ year old car.

(and charge your phone! )
I agree.
Why the $3k total?
So far it’s a rear bumper wiring harness, new axles and clevis. The control arms. And counting I have a supercharging error that has yet to be added to the estimate and a gps issue

If you want to it yourself, I feel this video captures it nicely:

Only issue I've had is I failed to tension the suspension properly so I spent quite some time to get everything aligned again to get the ball joint pin to align.

If you want to it yourself, I feel this video captures it nicely:

Only issue I've had is I failed to tension the suspension properly so I spent quite some time to get everything aligned again to get the ball joint pin to align.
If I went as far as to take the arm off the spindle and my control arms had more than 30k miles on them and they were revision A, I would just replace them. At 90$ a side why not.

squeaky vs worn out needs to be assessed.