Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking Steering on Model 3 - 21k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had a few minor other front end noises/creaking but nothing quite like this.

I hear the noise primarily when steering right at lower speeds (I am thinking because more lock is made as low speed that higher speeds), however I have had the noise going over small speed bumps.

I did a search and listed to other owners clips, but nothing sounded quite like this, hoping someone can help cast some light on what it might be before it goes into the diagnosis raffle wheel of the service center.

Thanks to all who look at this thread and/or respond.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dag
Thank you both for the input.

I have been able to schedule a mobile service appointment for next week, so I guess they'll hopefully do diagnosis at least and then one trip to the SC for the repair if I'm lucky....

Last repair was stabilizer bar linkage, left & right replaced. Car is an early Sept 2019 build.

its prob your upper control arm.. lots of issues with the 2018-19 builds
lots of posts too
Fortunately OP is still under warranty. My right upper control arm (March 2018 build) died at 52k miles and I got zero grace from the service center. $500 later...at least I have more than made up for it via stock ownership, but damn...no love for the early adopters of the Model 3.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
yeah, my 2018 had the right one go out at 55k and then the left one at 57k.. paid for the first repair, and they covered the second one... I came in and said, "I was here last month, you all fixed it, and it broke again. crazy thing..." they said, "uh, it was the other side last time"

When you had to pay for it, how much did it cost all said and done?

And Tesla have of course cancelled my service appointment and set one at the SC for January!

I feel like its not the best idea to drive with a busted control arm..... :(

Fortunately OP is still under warranty. My right upper control arm (March 2018 build) died at 52k miles and I got zero grace from the service center. $500 later...at least I have more than made up for it via stock ownership, but damn...no love for the early adopters of the Model 3.

At this point, would it not make sense to look aftermarket? I think that I would at least check into MPP control arms if this happened to me and evaluate the build quality vs another stock part. That's if I was out of warranty and Telsa told me to walk, I've done this with a few cars where the aftermarket pieces are more robust/higher performance and equal or similar cost.

So the latest update .... the noise has disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Drove the car a lot today and never a peep from it...

Now I'm unsure whether to keep the SC appointment or not - I fear I'll drive all the way there only to be told they can't replicate the issue and I need to come get the car back...

Any thoughts on if there would be anything visual they would be able to see damaged or broken?

Thanks!

This is happening to my Dec 2018 build. It also is sporadic - seems worse in the cold in the morning (anecdotal, maybe). I took it into the SC and guess what... they couldn't reproduce it (even though I did when I was backing it into the parking spot there). Sigh. I have another appointment for later this month because it's getting worse.

Is it dangerous to drive it while this is happening?

Mine worsened to the point where it makes that noise almost every time. Seems to mostly happen when turning at low speeds <5mph.

I scheduled the earliest SC appointment which was 1/21 so let's see what they say.

@Scott7

Brought it in the other day and it was immediately serviced and ready for pick-up same day. They confirmed the issue and replaced front upper control arms.

trYOvVS.jpg

Unfortunately, that night I heard the same creaking sound and decided to test it out a few more days. Been three days now and I hear it every time I turning the wheel under 5 mph. I think it actually sounds worse now... a little bit louder and almost every time. He said it isn't a safety issue so not sure when I'll schedule another visit. Earliest availability in my area is late Feb anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpg
    IMG_4755.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 966
  • Informative
Reactions: Scott7
@zhu- Funny you mention this, as I just had both upper control arms replaced and like you, the creak is back! I swear it was quiet for a day after that but the very next time I drove the car it was basically the same.

I already stopped by the SC and scheduled a replacement of the passenger side lower rear control arm.

I sure hope I don’t have to go back a third time for this same issue...