Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking Steering on Model 3 - 21k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Scott7

Brought it in the other day and it was immediately serviced and ready for pick-up same day. They confirmed the issue and replaced front upper control arms.

trYOvVS.jpg
Curious why they used 2 different versions of arms. To my knowledge the H is the latest supersession part.

I have this same sound but it's VERY noticeable when it's cold. As it warms up it's hard to hear unless you try to listen for it at slow speeds. I've had this issue when I've taken delivery back in 2018. Tesla to this day has refused to fix it over warranty. I went in a couple months ago to get a quote on how much it'll cost to replace all my control arms in the front of my vehicle and they said it's around $2300. I told them I'll pass and continue driving the vehicle with the creaking. It's cringy but I've given up on depending anymore money on this vehicle, aside from basic stuff like tires and windshield wiper fluid.

I had this issue occasionally for the entire 4 years I owned my first Model 3. I took it to the service center several times but they could never figure it out and usually they never even heard it. For me it happened most often in cooler, wet weather. Almost never happened in the summertime. Even though I heard the sound only occasionally it drove me nuts and was a big part of the reason I decided to swap it for a new Model 3.

Hi guys. I have a popping creaking noise as well. Took a video. Is this the same issue? Thanks

Sounds like it but I'm more familiar with the sound inside the interior.

I've gotten my upper control arms replaced twice now under warranty and turns out it wasn't the issue.

First time was a year ago and the next day I heard the creak again. But since the weather was warming up it went away until this winter when I scheduled another service a few weeks ago. This time the tech replaced control arms again but heard the same noise immediately after replacing. Turns out it's the "compliance links" that's causing the issue and makes a similar sound. They replaced those and I've finally heard zero noise since.

IMG_DDA050BC57FB-1.jpeg

Reactions: corradoMR2