Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking suspension and/or steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has recently developed a creaking/popping sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds, worse when turning left. I can feel it faintly in the floor, sounds like it's coming from the front left corner somewhere. Before I year into it searching for the source, does anyone have any specific things to check? Turning the wheel left while sitting still, for example, results in 2-3 creak/pop sounds before the wheel hits full lock. Same when going back to straight.

My car has recently developed a creaking/popping sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds, worse when turning left. I can feel it faintly in the floor, sounds like it's coming from the front left corner somewhere. Before I year into it searching for the source, does anyone have any specific things to check? Turning the wheel left while sitting still, for example, results in 2-3 creak/pop sounds before the wheel hits full lock. Same when going back to straight.

Do you have any suspension mods?

If you can, lift the front of the car up , remove both wheels, and then turn the axles side to side. See if you can replicate the sound while looking for an unusual movement. Good luck!

This sucker was loose :eek:

Tightened it up and no more creaking
267571775.png

I've had a clunking sound going over larger bumps from that side too, I wonder if that will be fixed now too.

This sucker was loose :eek:

Tightened it up and no more creaking
View attachment 467207

I've had a clunking sound going over larger bumps from that side too, I wonder if that will be fixed now too.

Question: was this bolt loose to the point you could turn it with your fingers, or loose in the sense it could be turned with a wrench?
I checked my car’s suspension bolts and everything seemed tight, but this creaking sound is getting worse. I’ve got 15,000 miles on my Performance 3. It’s all stock.

Question: was this bolt loose to the point you could turn it with your fingers, or loose in the sense it could be turned with a wrench?
I checked my car’s suspension bolts and everything seemed tight, but this creaking sound is getting worse. I’ve got 15,000 miles on my Performance 3. It’s all stock.

I didn't try it with my fingers, but I was *very* surprised at how loose it was when I put the wrench on it. So...maybe it would have turned by hand? Not sure.

When I first bought my used model S with about 85k on the clock, it creaked like an old man getting out of bed in the morning! I was very worried and took the car to Tesla for a couple other things as well. They tightened the suspension bolts and all was fixed. Seems like they loosen up fairly frequently. Next time I will take care of it on my own.

So I just picked up the car (the second time). Lol. I went to the SC yesterday to pick it up and when I drove around the parking lot I could hear the creaking still. So I made them book it back in and fix it today. The clicking turned out to be some issue with the front passenger rotor which shocked me because it sounded identical to the CV joint noise I hear in YouTube videos of other 3s. Anyway, they did some sanding apparently of the rotor face and it stopped. The creaking noise turned out to be bushings holding the front motor. They lubed the front motor bushings and the creaking noise has stopped now. I just wonder how long that will last before they have to actually replace the bushings. Anyway, they claimed to have adjusted my headliner screws to stop the buzzing but I heard it buzzing still on the freeway over expansion joints. If I could get rid of that buzzing headliner I’d be a happy camper!