Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking under hard acceleration (2018 MS 100D, 27K miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experience creaking from under the car when they accelerate hard? It doesn't happen often but it doesn't sound too healthy.

I took it to service and they said oh it is because of the colder temperatures. Admittedly, this didn't happen in the summer when I got the car, but now it is. So I don't know if they are BSing me or if this really is a cold temperature issue which means I'm going to have to just live with it lol.

This never happened on my 2014 MS P85 with 121K miles for the whole time that I've owned it though.

It’s NOT the colder temps (though poss that could exacerbate the underpinning issues). I had a 2018S 100D and experienced the same. Service tried (unsuccessfully) to correct in several instances.

Whether torquing or switching out parts after parts (on the suspension), none of it solved the problem.

I ultimately gave my S back to Tesla and now have the refreshed S which (thankfully) does NOT have the same issue.

I wish I had a more favorable answer in this but I’m highly doubtful it will find resolution as I think it may be intrinsic.

Wishing you the best….but if you can’t take it (as I …couldn’t), I can’t say enough about the favorable distinctions of the refreshed S versus the 2018, with this being 1 of a great many areas where Tesla has just…gotten it better.

Reactions: besnova
It’s NOT the colder temps (though poss that could exacerbate the underpinning issues). I had a 2018S 100D and experienced the same. Service tried (unsuccessfully) to correct in several instances.

Whether torquing or switching out parts after parts (on the suspension), none of it solved the problem.

I ultimately gave my S back to Tesla and now have the refreshed S which (thankfully) does NOT have the same issue.

I wish I had a more favorable answer in this but I’m highly doubtful it will find resolution as I think it may be intrinsic.

Wishing you the best….but if you can’t take it (as I …couldn’t), I can’t say enough about the favorable distinctions of the refreshed S versus the 2018, with this being 1 of a great many areas where Tesla has just…gotten it better.
Thank you. I was going to order the long range refresh, but my insurance would go to like $6,800 every 6 months, whereas for anything 2019 or older it was around $1,400 every 6 months lol.

Thank you. I was going to order the long range refresh, but my insurance would go to like $6,800 every 6 months, whereas for anything 2019 or older it was around $1,400 every 6 months lol.
Genuinely sorry your going through this. I get it/empathize. Wow (re: insurance)…gosh..that’s hefty. Have u tried TSLA insurance? (Maybe they’re cheaper than say…GEICO or the like?). I know for us…Tesla was MUCH cheaper. Anyway…if somehow you -are- at some point able to swing it…I can vouch for the refresh..it is…comparatively..just….in a word…wonderful.
Merry Christmas!

Reactions: besnova
Genuinely sorry your going through this. I get it/empathize. Wow (re: insurance)…gosh..that’s hefty. Have u tried TSLA insurance? (Maybe they’re cheaper than say…GEICO or the like?). I know for us…Tesla was MUCH cheaper. Anyway…if somehow you -are- at some point able to swing it…I can vouch for the refresh..it is…comparatively..just….in a word…wonderful.
Merry Christmas!
Thank you. Once Tesla Insurance comes to NY, I will be one of the first to sign up! Then, maybe I'll consider the refresh... it's $15K more expensive now than when I was going to get it.

OP - You say you get a noise when you accelerate. Do you get a corresponding noise on regen? Front right side?

M
Hope just hard acceleration. It sounds like a creaking or stretching sound somewhere on the bottom. I feel like its metal or something isn't screwed in right, because it's only on hard acceleration but not regen.

I noticed this happens especially if my suspension is Standard or higher. I'm always on low. So maybe it's something about the car tilting hard and low suspension gets rid of most of the noise, still there though.