Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaks and Groans - and a "whirrr"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

1) My 2018 Model X has started to creak and groan when going over bumps. Even mild bumps
at slow speeds such as an irregularity in the driving surface at parking lot speeds. Didn't
do this before. Started this winter (we live North of Seattle) but not particularly "when ever
it is cold". By "cold" I'm talking times when the temps are at least 45. I think, but not 100%
certain it is coming from the left front (suspension?). Doesn't happen "only when it is cold"
pretty much all the time but definitely more pronounced at slower speeds than on the
freeway. I'm thinking "suspension". I runt he car at "standard" height.

2) The car has a slight "whistle" in the drive train at about 50 mph. Faster, not there. Slower,
also not there. The tone is a 'medium' tone ... not high pitched and not low. Very
repeatable (always happens when within 5 mph or so of 50). I'm wondering if this is
the dreaded CV joint problem. Is it at all possible that it is the same problem as #1?

Are either of these things that can/should be addressed with a service call?

We bought the car used from Lynnwood Tesla dealer just last July. Had about 22k then, has
about 28k now. All driving has been on city streets or freeways - one long trip to SF Bay area
(900 miles one way) but other than that all "local" where we can go and come back without
charging.
- Jim in the PNW

It seems the X's are plagued with an assortment of suspension issues. Could be anything from front swaybar links to the fore or aft links or even the half shaft which apparently goes bad when you ride in standard mode. The bushings on the links all fail relatively quickly on this vehicle. China has forced Tesla to recall some of the parts, and there are Class action lawsuits in Cali but so far no recall for us. Lucky for you, yours is still in warranty so they can replace it on their dime. Get it done before your warranty is up. Hopefully they address the issue and it doesn't keep returning like it does for some others.

If it's under warranty, yes take it to your service center. I can't speak for #1 but for #2, my M3LR had that issue only at higher speeds; turns out after 3 days of diagnosis it was a trim on the driver's side that was slightly misaligned which let air through causing the whistle noise at higher speeds. Given how many Tesla's have less-than-perfect exterior alignment, maybe?