TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Creaks and Groans While Turning

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Pandamoanium, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

How many of y’all have an X that creaks and groans like things are going to snap while turning? With the summer temps, I’ve noticed it becoming worse and usually the middle console pairs with front seats. Just want to know if it’s an issue for others as well.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Mine does occasionally but nothing I’m too concerned about this is a heavy car :(

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Brian's ReX

Brian's ReX Member

Ditto @P85_DA

However, "groans like things are going to snap" is a bit alarming. Mine is only noticeable if climate and music are off (sometimes I just like to hear the 'nothingness' that Tesla emits as opposed to an ICE)... and even then, it's only small creaks.

If it's that dramatic, it may be worth mentioning on your next trip to a SC, if needed.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. pdx3181

pdx3181 Supporting Member

I have an odd sound on the left edge of my windshield. It sounds like someone is using a guitar pick on an really over-tight guitar string. It's a *tick* or *snick* if you will.

There's been no change since I bought it - so I am not worried about it.

• Like x 1
  5. Brian's ReX

Brian's ReX Member

@pdx3181: Maybe keep an eye on water intrusion? By no means am I an expert, but maybe it's the windscreen 'adhesive' that's come almost undone? Thinking about a pane of glass coming in contact with a very sticky substance, then being 'pulled' off - makes me think of the "tick/snick" you mention.

Just a thought...

• Like x 2
  6. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I’ll have to do it when I have time to ride with a tech. First time they said they heard nothing, mobile unit came out to install 22” wheels and she took it for a spin. Literally one minute to circle and she heard everything. We were both confused as to how no one heard anything.

Luckily she corrected the seat sounds with another tech. The other stuff would need a SC visit. I’m sure I’ll bring it up eventually, my visits to the SC haven’t been positive.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Try gummi pflege on the rubber seals on the doors or plastic joints you hear the creaking. One of my BMWs creak on every turn and every time you go up the driveway. With gummi pflege most of those noises go away.

• Like x 1
  8. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Service replaced something in my suspension under warranty. Sound is gone.

9. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Mine is 100% inside the cabin.

10. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

I too have noticed, but I also wonder if it's because there is no engine and transmission noise on my Teslas compared to ICEs

11. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I don't think so. I've had a few ICE vehicles and they normally will address them. Temperature fluctuations will cause them to come and go, but the ones I have are persistent regardless of temp. It'll just make it worse or less. It could be the parts and how it's assembled, though I have not taken a ride in a newer model so it could just be something I'll need to live with.