Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaky sound from windshield area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MYP with about 9k miles. Last week it began making an annoying creaking noise whenever the car flexes, such as when turning in to a driveway. As best as I can tell the sound is coming from the driver side front windshield or roof area. The sun visor has nothing to do with it, the passenger window has nothing to do with it. The car has experienced blazing heat and freezing temps since I've owned it, so I don't think recent weather is to blame either. Ideas/suggestions?

In this video the noise begins around the 0:17 second mark and the loudest creak is at the 0:55 second mark.

My car had something similar after bringing the car back from Tesla service. I thought it was something in the dash area. Then I popped the frunk and learned that the service technician never secured the frunk cover. He tried to secured it but instead broke 2 slips so he just left it unsecured. Whenever the car went over a bump that plastic cover near the wiper blade would bounce up and down transmitting the noise into the cabin.

I have a 2021 MYP with about 9k miles. Last week it began making an annoying creaking noise whenever the car flexes, such as when turning in to a driveway. As best as I can tell the sound is coming from the driver side front windshield or roof area. The sun visor has nothing to do with it, the passenger window has nothing to do with it. The car has experienced blazing heat and freezing temps since I've owned it, so I don't think recent weather is to blame either. Ideas/suggestions?

In this video the noise begins around the 0:17 second mark and the loudest creak is at the 0:55 second mark.

OMG! I thought I would be the only one with this issue! I have a right hand driver Model Y and in the first few weeks of having the car I had no discernable noise but over the last couple of weeks the noise became louder and louder. It sounds like old creaking furniture!
It sounds like it's coming from inside the roof lining directly about the visor on the driver side. It's become so annoying that I think I have no choice but to get the service centre to look at it. Even if I press hard on that area whilst I'm driving it does not stop so it must be something underneath the lining, not connected to the actual lining.
I'd love to know if you have managed to resolve it or what Tesla have said could be the cause.

I have the same issue, Did you ever find the problem?
No I never found the issue, and despite the feedback I got (that the noise could be coming from the dash or from the front trunk area) I remain 100% convinced the sound came from the top of the windshield on the passenger side. (edit: In my original post, I mistakenly said 'drivers' side. It was always on the passenger side.) It persisted for a couple of weeks and then completely stopped, came back a few days later, and then stopped again. I haven't heard it for close to a month. Fingers crossed it's gone forever.

Last edited:
OMG! I thought I would be the only one with this issue! I have a right hand driver Model Y and in the first few weeks of having the car I had no discernable noise but over the last couple of weeks the noise became louder and louder. It sounds like old creaking furniture!
It sounds like it's coming from inside the roof lining directly about the visor on the driver side. It's become so annoying that I think I have no choice but to get the service centre to look at it. Even if I press hard on that area whilst I'm driving it does not stop so it must be something underneath the lining, not connected to the actual lining.
I'd love to know if you have managed to resolve it or what Tesla have said could be the cause.
From your description it sounds as if you are experiencing the same thing that I experienced. I was certain that I would have to take it to the service center for it to be resolved, but after a few weeks of hearing it daily, the noise abruptly stopped. It returned for a day or two, and then stopped again, and I haven't heard it at all for close to a month now. My advice is to live with it for a while and see if it stops on its own.