Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaky Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 model Y. It started making a sound last week, kind of like a creaky staircase. I'm not a car guy so not sure what is causing it.

This happens when I turn the wheel, when the car gets jostled going over a speed bump... Anything that jostles the car seems to make this noise.

I have an appointment to go into a service center in 2 weeks to get it checked out It's the earliest time I could get.

Anyone know what might be causing this noise? Is it safe to keep driving? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I couldn't attach an audio file so I've shared it from my onedrive account.

Matt

Reactions: Spivas
It could be a noisy back joint on the upper control arm. This issue was not uncommon on some of the earlier Model 3s one they reached around 30-40k miles. You might be one of the very few lucky (unlucky?) ones that gets the same noise on a Model Y. Tesla will replace it under warranty, and it's safe to keep driving it if it is the upper control arm. It could be something else, so I would look under the car at the suspension components and make sure there is nothing obviously loose.

I've tried to research the same for my 19' M3 and I think it's the squeaky upper control arm OR springs rubbing against the top hat of the strut when turning the wheel at low speed. I know when I went in for service last, they lubed up some parts, I figure as a temporary solution (which hasn't changed anything with the noises it's making)... I'd say break out the spray lube and spray a couple parts and see if that helps any.