Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaky Trunk Lid on New M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the hinge downstops are too high. They are pretty basic metal-on-metal stops that I don't think are intended to contact under normal loads, only when people shove them like that. They should have enough clearance to not rattle, but not so much that they let the trunk get shoved so far down that it can contact the side window or roof rail.

The bolts are small but extremely tight. Use a socket wrench to crank them in a turn or two.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 211000.png

I think the hinge downstops are too high. They are pretty basic metal-on-metal stops that I don't think are intended to contact under normal loads, only when people shove them like that. They should have enough clearance to not rattle, but not so much that they let the trunk get shoved so far down that it can contact the side window or roof rail.

The bolts are small but extremely tight. Use a socket wrench to crank them in a turn or two.

View attachment 753342

Gauss you nailed it! The passenger side downstop is hitting the bottom part of the hinge, rubbing the paint down to the metal.

I tried to crank it down using a nut but could not get the torque needed as it's painted in place. Will bust out a socket and get after it over the weekend.

Interestingly enough, the driver side is so low there's a ton of movement on that side, I'll probably raise that one a turn or two as well.

Thank you so much!

Tim