Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cream Interior, Oak Paneling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm crazy about the cream interior and so I ordered it for my white Model S. However, the oak panel/dash/headliner(?) is so 70s I'm wondering what options might be out there. Since the wood has grain, it's not easily wrapped. Any thoughts or experiences in changing wood paneling?

I'm crazy about the cream interior and so I ordered it for my white Model S. However, the oak panel/dash/headliner(?) is so 70s I'm wondering what options might be out there. Since the wood has grain, it's not easily wrapped. Any thoughts or experiences in changing wood paneling?

Tsportline has a carbon fiber dash kit but it's not cheap. There are probably other alternatives but that's the first that came to mind.

Maybe give the oak trim some time for it to grow on you?

Personally, oak trim with a cream interior is my favorite. It really brightens up the interior and the open pore oak trim looks very understated and modern. The glossy would have looked like 70s wood but I love what they've done with the look and feel of the oak trim. I replaced my carbon fiber trim with oak and I love it so much better.

The headliner should be easy to fix by any upholstery place. They can snap out the panels and cover them in any color you wish.

I removed my Model 3 dash trim piece, taped off the trim edges so only the wood showed, then sanded it lightly and stained it a slightly darker color.

Removing the trim on the Model S is more involved, but it is possible.

The caveat is you don't really know how the stain you choose is going to turn out on that wood, but if you could find spare trim on eBay, you could test it first.

20190913_221722.jpg

I removed my Model 3 dash trim piece, taped off the trim edges so only the wood showed, then sanded it lightly and stained it a slightly darker color.

The caveat is you don't really know how the stain you choose is going to turn out on that wood, but if you could find spare trim on eBay, you could test it first.

View attachment 585530

Nice...where did you get the matching floor mats?

Reactions: Dayreg

View attachment 585530

Wow, totally transforms the interior. Makes it look modern and luxurious. Great shade for the wood trim.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits and Dayreg

View attachment 585530
Looks amazing!

Ah, thank you! That was my exact goal... make it more luxurious.

The mats are Lloyds "Luxe" Mats, in the Brown (786) color. You can find them at various retailers, occasionally with a coupon.

For the center console, I bought real wood veneer from Rockler, based on some great research that @artsci shared on his custom Model 3. See the link here for more ideas:

Center Console Wood Wrap

Once I got the wood veneer from Rockler, I sanded it, cut it on a cricut cutter for the perfect circles around the cupholder, and then stained it to match. The veneer has a 3M sticky adhesive on the back and it's very strong, so no peeling.

Here's a link to the wood veneer I used.... it's the Ash variant. Note that the grain isn't a perfect match, but I'm still pleased with the result.

PSA - Pressure Sensitive Veneer - 24 Inch X 96 Inch

@SisOne, I think your options are down to staining the wood or wrapping it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: aerodyne
Tsportline has a carbon fiber dash kit but it's not cheap. There are probably other alternatives but that's the first that came to mind.
I like carbon for my bikes, but don’t care for the look for my MS interior.
Maybe give the oak trim some time for it to grow on you?

Personally, oak trim with a cream interior is my favorite. It really brightens up the interior and the open pore oak trim looks very understated and modern. The glossy would have looked like 70s wood but I love what they've done with the look and feel of the oak trim. I replaced my carbon fiber trim with oak and I love it so much better.

The headliner should be easy to fix by any upholstery place. They can snap out the panels and cover them in any color you wish.
You have a point and since there is not a clear and easy solution I will likely do exactly that; live with it before I take any action.

Ah, thank you! That was my exact goal... make it more luxurious.

The mats are Lloyds "Luxe" Mats, in the Brown (786) color. You can find them at various retailers, occasionally with a coupon.

For the center console, I bought real wood veneer from Rockler, based on some great research that @artsci shared on his custom Model 3. See the link here for more ideas:

Center Console Wood Wrap

Once I got the wood veneer from Rockler, I sanded it, cut it on a cricut cutter for the perfect circles around the cupholder, and then stained it to match. The veneer has a 3M sticky adhesive on the back and it's very strong, so no peeling.

Here's a link to the wood veneer I used.... it's the Ash variant. Note that the grain isn't a perfect match, but I'm still pleased with the result.

PSA - Pressure Sensitive Veneer - 24 Inch X 96 Inch

@SisOne, I think your options are down to staining the wood or wrapping it.

You should create a business selling this as a kit :)

This interior to me looks better than any Model 3 interior option offered by the factory. And I'm someone who hardly ever thinks mods look better than factory. You've elevated the Model 3 interior.

@SisOne, I'm sure you've considered this, but just in case you haven't, eBay has some of the older wood trims available that might be of interest. Below is the dark ash matte-finish wood trim Tesla used to offer. On my previous S, I had the "Figured Ash" matte finish wood, and as @Magellan55 notes on the oak matte trim, the Figured Ash also got a lot of compliments from passengers. You might confirm the actual trim name with the seller, or at least have them send you better photos to see if they fit your aesthetic preference.

One last option is to join a local club and see if you can find another owner looking to trade with yours.

Tesla Model S Interior Dash Wood Trim | eBay

disclaimer: I don't know this seller or the true condition of their trim pieces. Check to see if sellers have free returns to be safe.

Last edited:
+1 on swapping out the dash trim pieces. I went for the dark ash as well which replaced piano black. In some light it appears very similar to piano black, but under direct sun the grain pops. The job is a little tedious and a little frightening as you pop the clips holding the dash pieces on, but it's doable. I believe a SC will charge you an hour of labor for the swap if you want to leave it to the pros.

Tesla uses real wood veneer on the panels which gives you flexibility in refinishing, but also check to make sure the adhesive used to secure the veneer isn't failing, and the veneer itself is not cracking. This seems more prevalent in matte finished panels.

Note that earlier cars did not have matching center console doors, so your choices will be limited to the cars with the newer style center console doors. S and X use the same panels.

Reactions: Dayreg and Joesage
Nice...where did you get the matching floor mats?
+1 on swapping out the dash trim pieces. I went for the dark ash as well which replaced piano black. In some light it appears very similar to piano black, but under direct sun the grain pops. The job is a little tedious and a little frightening as you pop the clips holding the dash pieces on, but it's doable. I believe a SC will charge you an hour of labor for the swap if you want to leave it to the pros.

Tesla uses real wood veneer on the panels which gives you flexibility in refinishing, but also check to make sure the adhesive used to secure the veneer isn't failing, and the veneer itself is not cracking. This seems more prevalent in matte finished panels.

Note that earlier cars did not have matching center console doors, so your choices will be limited to the cars with the newer style center console doors. S and X use the same panels.
Any pics?

@SisOne, I'm sure you've considered this, but just in case you haven't, eBay has some of the older wood trims available that might be of interest. Below is the dark ash matte-finish wood trim Tesla used to offer. On my previous S, I had the "Figured Ash" matte finish wood, and as @Magellan55 notes on the oak matte trim, the Figured Ash also got a lot of compliments from passengers. You might confirm the actual trim name with the seller, or at least have them send you better photos to see if they fit your aesthetic preference.

One last option is to join a local club and see if you can find another owner looking to trade with yours.

Tesla Model S Interior Dash Wood Trim | eBay

disclaimer: I don't know this seller or the true condition of their trim pieces. Check to see if sellers have free returns to be safe.

Wow, some creative ideas there, thank you, @Dayreg ! Logged on and found this “Oneche” trim. I think I like it. Polling a few friends. Have you seen it?
Tesla Model S Dash Panel Center Left Vent Trim Assembly Obeche OEM for sale online | eBay

Wow, some creative ideas there, thank you, @Dayreg ! Logged on and found this “Oneche” trim. I think I like it. Polling a few friends. Have you seen it?
Tesla Model S Dash Panel Center Left Vent Trim Assembly Obeche OEM for sale online | eBay

I'm not 100% sure, but that auction looks to be ONLY for one piece of trim - the left side. Make sure you purchase a complete set! ;-)

That said, yes, I've seen both the Obeche Gloss and Obeche Matte from the 2014-2016 cars. It's primarily a striped pattern but it looks pretty nice. The Obeche Matte is my fav of the two. You can see these trim choices often at Tesla meet-ups.

One more item to note: early on, Tesla offered the Obeche in both a vertical grain and then later, a horizontal grain. Try to see both, since the horizontal looks better to me.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
There are different ways to cut oak (wood in general). The 70's (today?) look is plain sawn or maybe live sawn.

I would die for quarter sawn oak and cream interior.

Log-Cut-Types.png