Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creating a Model S "app" (website). Looking for ideas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I'm an amateur coder and would like to build a Model S friendly website for use in the car (think similar to EVE). Given my current level of skill, the functionality will be VERY simple but hopefully will improve over time. Just curious what type of functionality is on everyone's wishlist. Here's what I have so far:

Analog / Digital clock w/ alarm functionality
Weather - including daily/hourly forecast & radar
Calendar
Movie showtimes
Restaurant reservations
Sports scores w/ ability to prioritize favorite teams
Tesla News
Wallpaper/screensaver (image slideshow)
Daily inspirational quotes

All in a customizable layout

and of course some easter eggs ;)

I have code to have a deeper Spotify experience if you’d like it. I wrote it, but changed roles at work that have me busy more than I’d like to tinker. As a result I cancelled my Spotify Pro account and went back to using Apple Music. Anyway, DM me if you’re interested.

Reactions: DMack
Happy to make it open source.

I would love Spotify as well but didn’t know if the browser can send sound to the speakers (I’ve literally only used EVE weather on the browser so far)

I also thought about text message reading. Not sure if I want to do email because I don’t check email while driving and can just use my phone. I’d like to have the car read my texts to me though while driving.

The Spotify app I did used their web apis to control the playback on the phone (and get data, like playlists and stuff). So it doesn’t play back through the browser but gives you a better UI than the built in one for mobile playback.

Reactions: juju
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 10.48.32 PM.png

Hello, world.

Reactions: GatorGuy
- Wish list -
Prioritized Sports scores would be great. Maybe even a link to listen over streaming/radio?
Use of alarm.com, philips hue, nest/ecobee smart thermostat, etc. Maybe even geolocation (turn on/off when leaving/arriving?). Our smart phones do this, but it would be useful on the tesla screen as well.
Creating it to properly fit on the full screen or half screen of the tesla. I have noticed some tesla specific sites leave dead space or don't fully utilize the tesla screen ratio, which is a shame.

• Disagree
Reactions: verdee
- Wish list -
Prioritized Sports scores would be great. Maybe even a link to listen over streaming/radio?
Use of alarm.com, philips hue, nest/ecobee smart thermostat, etc. Maybe even geolocation (turn on/off when leaving/arriving?). Our smart phones do this, but it would be useful on the tesla screen as well.
Creating it to properly fit on the full screen or half screen of the tesla. I have noticed some tesla specific sites leave dead space or don't fully utilize the tesla screen ratio, which is a shame.

Yes I plan to make it work for both full and half screen :)

The browser doesn’t allow streaming unfortunately :(

Linking to home controls seems to be a popular idea. Only problem is I don’t have any of these systems so testing would be difficult. Not ruling it out though.

Reactions: TTexla and GatorGuy
I’m a new 75D owner who would like a number of additional / useful apps
available on the screen. I’ve read all of the recent comments, and rather
disappointed. But a question arrises, from me a non programmer. So,
would it be possible to use a thumb drive to contain the desired soctware
with code to obtain desired info via wifi and / or LTE?

I’m a new 75D owner who would like a number of additional / useful apps
available on the screen. I’ve read all of the recent comments, and rather
disappointed. But a question arrises, from me a non programmer. So,
would it be possible to use a thumb drive to contain the desired soctware
with code to obtain desired info via wifi and / or LTE?
The software will be web-based so no, you cannot save it to a thumb drive. You don’t have to. You will access it via the web browser in your car. (see below)

212D4D6F-C83C-436E-B03D-3B4B32ECA431.jpeg