Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creating a warning label not to slam the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as I picked up the car from the valet yesterday, I noticed that the valet accidentally opened the frunk with the FOB - an understandable error. However, I saw him opening it up and getting ready to slam it down, at which point I had to scream "STOP," ran over, and told him that it should be gently lowered and then to press down with both hands to lock it. I could have easily missed it, and it got me thinking to creating / printing a label - or a letter sized laminated page to drop in the frunk - to alert such indivuals of the proper procedure to close the frunk.

Has anyone gone through this? Any suggestion, recommendation (wording, etc) or other thoughts?

Question also posted on company website forums.

So as I picked up the car from the valet yesterday, I noticed that the valet accidentally opened the frunk with the FOB - an understandable error. However, I saw him opening it up and getting ready to slam it down, at which point I had to scream "STOP," ran over, and told him that it should be gently lowered and then to press down with both hands to lock it. I could have easily missed it, and it got me thinking to creating / printing a label - or a letter sized laminated page to drop in the frunk - to alert such indivuals of the proper procedure to close the frunk.

Has anyone gone through this? Any suggestion, recommendation (wording, etc) or other thoughts?

Question also posted on company website forums.

Proper operation and closing of the Frunk should be labeled by the Factory IMO.

If the frunk did get slammed down and you hadn't caught him in time, what would have happened? A dent or something?

When I took delivery of the car, the DS was very specific about not slamming it. He explained that it was somewhat more fragile than most other "hoods" because it is made out of aluminum and thus is more pliable. Not sure whether it would bend, get dented, or what, but I'm not taking any chances :eek:

I thought the 'no slamming' was because the hood wouldn't close that way. The hood is too light, because it is Aluminum, to fully engage both latches. You would be opening and closing all day without any real progress. Other than wearing out the latches and hinges a lot.

I could be wrong though.

I thought the 'no slamming' was because the hood wouldn't close that way. The hood is too light, because it is Aluminum, to fully engage both latches. You would be opening and closing all day without any real progress. Other than wearing out the latches and hinges a lot.

I could be wrong though.

That would make sense too. DS and I didn't really get into it..

they told me this at delivery to, not to slam it down.... said it could bend...

The frunk should open/close like the rear hatch (motorized)... espcially since it's treated as storage comparment, it's not like a hood of a normal car with the motor up front that is hardly ever opened..

every time you close it you'll end up with handprints all over car....

A great enhancement request would be that you cannot open the frunk with the keyfob. If you could only open it via the touchscreen, then you could put up instructions about how to properly close it.

On that note - Can you open the frunk w/ the touchscreen? If so, I could see myself opening up the keyfob and disabling the frunk button...

yes, you can open the frunk from the touchscreen... there is also a manual release lever in the glove box...

A great enhancement request would be that you cannot open the frunk with the keyfob. If you could only open it via the touchscreen, then you could put up instructions about how to properly close it.

On that note - Can you open the frunk w/ the touchscreen? If so, I could see myself opening up the keyfob and disabling the frunk button...

Here's how to solve that problem:

Never let a Valet drive your car. If you MUST use valet parking, have the Valet sit in the passenger seat and tell you where to drive it to then ride back with them or walk back with them. Reverse this when getting the car out of the valet lot.

The reason I say this is because I think a sign is highly unlikely to make any difference. People have the habit of slamming hoods without thinking about it. I doubt he would have noticed the sign at all had it been there. You are probably better off telling every valet verbally that if they slam your hood you will hold them accountable for any damages--would likely be a much more effective deterrant to hood slamming.

What Tesla should do though, is have a valet mode where it is not possible to pop the frunk at all before a PIN is entered on the touchscreen, amongst other features to safeguard your car and its contents.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers

"Never let a valet drive your car" I had one valet fail to turn off vehicle while I am at a dinner affair, because he could not figure out how to remove the key. (Prius) Why could they not come and get me is beyond me. The last valet I asked to park myself was told it is a walk back. So I let them park my RX400h ok so far so good, when he brings it back he backed it up over a curb into the shrubbery. Thankfully no damage or I would have filed charges against him. Though most valet services have spots for people to park themselves. One time I told a valet I had a fire call with mass evacuations so he told park straight ahead.

Gah, what Tesla needs to do is not make the frunk lid quite so fragile, please. Sheesh, first time I'm wary for closing any opening on a car because just the act of closing it might dent (!) it. I don't care what it's made out of. It's not just valets (or myself!) I need to worry about when the car comes--friends, relatives, large hail stones, etc. ;-)

The problem is probably made worse because I think most people are used to slamming their hoods since most hood latches work that way (as opposed to closing their trunk which tends to be a lighter action).

What Tesla should do though, is have a valet mode where it is not possible to pop the frunk at all before a PIN is entered on the touchscreen, amongst other features to safeguard your car and its contents.

That is an excellent idea! Years ago, cars used to use one key for doors and ignition and another for glove box and trunk. You could give the valet one key to get in and drive the car, but he couldn't get in to your trunk or glove box. That seems like it would be super easy to implement in software.

That is an excellent idea! Years ago, cars used to use one key for doors and ignition and another for glove box and trunk. You could give the valet one key to get in and drive the car, but he couldn't get in to your trunk or glove box. That seems like it would be super easy to implement in software.

I agree 100%. Frunk could be a great place to store any valuables while away from car (briefcase, notebook, etc). Completely out of sight too

Except there's a manual release lever for the frunk underneath the glove box. So a software update would not be able to keep your frunk contents secure.