TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Creating parking space for autopark

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Bsnel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Bsnel

Bsnel New Member

i am planning to create a parking spot in my front garden. I'd like to create it such that my tesla can self park parallel. It looks like the Tesla needs to see other cars? Or can i create a clearly markered spot, with curbs if needed that the car wil recognize?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It needs two objects, start and finish. I think someone here just placed 2 garbage cans to do the experiment.

A well marked spot will not work with AP1. Not sure about AP2.

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Is this for an AP1 car, or an AP2 car?

Is this really for Self-park (as in backing up) or just summons?

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I think he clarified it to be parallel parking:

• Like x 1
  5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

In theory it can probably be done with AP1.

All the self-park does with AP1 is it uses the ultrasonic sensors to detect the "cars", and then uses the distance between for all the calculations. It also needs to detect the curb for the actual parking.

So he'll need something to represent the "cars", and the curb. Knowing that it never actually "see's" the cars meaning the camera is never used for any of it. So it should be really easy to trick.

Heck he'll probably have better luck with it than most have with the actual self-park between cars.

6. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

It could work with substantial concrete or metal barriers at the front and back of the space. At least, my car sometimes offers to park me in "spaces" like that. I'd look into berms, bollards, and that sort of thing. A big planter at either end of the space might work, and could look nice too.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My "P" indicator came on once when there was just one car to the rear. I had my blinker on, if that makes a difference. I have not been able to duplicate it.