Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creative Charging Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to get a little creative with my home charging solution. I’m one of those people who’s garage isn’t a garage. It’s a family storage unit. Coupled with the fact that it’s one of those 90’s shorty garages with the HVAC at the end, my new (to me) MX wasn’t going to fit without me needing to almost kiss the HVAC with the front bumper.

So....That means she charges (and lives) outside. One drawback to the Gen1 mobile chargers is that the way the adapters and plugs work, they don’t allow you to use an in service outlet cover to keep weather away while charging (welcome to WA). I also didn’t want to shell out the $$ for a HPWC. So, I had to get creative.

I put a 14-50 outlet in the garage, then used a 2.5” conduit through the exterior wall (luckily the Tesla parks on the other side of the wall), and terminated the conduit into a 12x12x6 j-box.

The charging handle and cord feeds through the wall and right into where the car parks. When I’m done charging, I push some of the cable back into the garage and the handle lives in the j-box until next charge. Super easy to remove the cable when i go on road trips too.

Attachments

• 9A38C920-51EE-4F7A-91C6-900357D38461.jpeg
    9A38C920-51EE-4F7A-91C6-900357D38461.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 78
  • 50C1F9E4-5DB8-4925-92A3-2CAB81870713.jpeg
    50C1F9E4-5DB8-4925-92A3-2CAB81870713.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 93C9EA98-261B-422A-9376-1DCBD58CDEFF.jpeg
    93C9EA98-261B-422A-9376-1DCBD58CDEFF.jpeg
    686.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 23D8171B-35E2-468B-AD84-1F53BB13343D.jpeg
    23D8171B-35E2-468B-AD84-1F53BB13343D.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 70
  • D4C4F61B-D91E-4F08-9232-5B61CCFD0158.jpeg
    D4C4F61B-D91E-4F08-9232-5B61CCFD0158.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 156D2711-17BE-4C73-A977-A38C8F62CFDC.jpeg
    156D2711-17BE-4C73-A977-A38C8F62CFDC.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 60
Those Gen1 Mobile adapters were upgraded for a reason, chuck it.
Just install a proper wall connector and do it right, especially for anything outside.

Why people cheap out on $100K Vehicles is beyond me. Save the "Mobile" adapter for "Mobile" use.

I didn't cheap out on a $100K vehicle. I cheap out on a $50k vehicle though, which is what this cost me. But I am still not convinced I NEED a HPWC. Does it look better? Sure, does it function better? Nope. This baby isn't going to be plugged in daily. Once a week. I also have free charging at my work and they are building a Supercharger 150 yards from my desk and I have free FUSC.

Will I eventually get a HPWC, maybe. But for now, this is what I have, and I like it.

I didn't cheap out on a $100K vehicle. I cheap out on a $50k vehicle though, which is what this cost me. But I am still not convinced I NEED a HPWC. Does it look better? Sure, does it function better? Nope. This baby isn't going to be plugged in daily. Once a week. I also have free charging at my work and they are building a Supercharger 150 yards from my desk and I have free FUSC.

Will I eventually get a HPWC, maybe. But for now, this is what I have, and I like it.

Yes, a Wall Connector functions better. I’m sure you have a Ground Fault on the 14-50 outlet. Now code and not required for a Hardwired Wall Connector. And I’m sure you know about Gen1 Mobile connectors melting down with no temperature monitor on the plug like Gen 2 does.

But heck, you saved $300 bucks and have a goofy setup that you might not have with you some day when you need it.

$50k is a lot of money too. $300 is not. Nor the extra time you put in.

Those Gen1 Mobile adapters were upgraded for a reason, chuck it.
Just install a proper wall connector and do it right, especially for anything outside.

Why people cheap out on $100K Vehicles is beyond me. Save the "Mobile" adapter for "Mobile" use.
Seriously? "Upgraded?" The Gen2 does 2 things:

1) Cuts costs
2) Prevents people who don't know better from drawing 40 amps on a 40 amp circuit with a 50 amp outlet.

Pretty sure their priorities were in that order, too. I am very pleased to have my gen1 mobile charge cable for my 72A onboard charger, and it has nothing to do with being cheap.

Reactions: Rocky_H
And I’m sure you know about Gen1 Mobile connectors melting down with no temperature monitor on the plug like Gen 2 does.
Wouldn't hurt to provide a little context here for people who don't know. For instance, if you're talking about the receptacle melting as happened many times, it's covered by (2) in my previous post and not a significant concern for me (my mobile charger is mobile only and my HPWC is on a 100A circuit). OTOH, if you're talking about the charging end melting in the charge port, that would be a concern and I'd like more information since I've never heard of it and always assumed the temperature sensor was for that end anyway.

@mxnym That is a pretty cool setup. Yeah... @mswlogo is being really out of line.
However, having said that, I would not run ANY generation or type of Tesla charging equipment at its full maximum rated current for constant daily use. That includes any of the old wall connectors at 80A, new wall connectors at 48A, Gen1 UMC at 40A, or the Gen2 UMC at 32A. Tesla seems to love the "just barely" spec for their charging equipment and has had heat problems with all of them.

I've been using my Gen1 UMC for over 6 and a half years as my constant, fixed, at home charging, but I do not run it at 40A. I have it set for about 31 or 32, which keeps it cooler and will help it last longer.

Reactions: DSolie
@mxnym That is a pretty cool setup.
I'm guessing this was actually meant for the OP, @DSolie. I just barged in when I was triggered by the term "upgraded." Not that the term was wrong considering the temperature sensor, just that I would rather have 40A capability in the rare instance where I need it than be limited to 32A. It seems a lot of "upgrades" are worse for me, regardless of whether or not Tesla is involved.

I'm guessing this was actually meant for the OP, @DSolie. I just barged in when I was triggered by the term "upgraded." Not that the term was wrong considering the temperature sensor, just that I would rather have 40A capability in the rare instance where I need it than be limited to 32A. It seems a lot of "upgrades" are worse for me, regardless of whether or not Tesla is involved.

I couldn't agree more. And as mentioned, this is just one of many charging options that I have, not a daily charging solution. I did charge at 40a last night just to see cord temps and charge times. Since it'll be an overnight charge when I do use it, throttling it down to 32A, or less, is exactly what will be happening.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I couldn't agree more. And as mentioned, this is just one of many charging options that I have, not a daily charging solution. I did charge at 40a last night just to see cord temps and charge times. Since it'll be an overnight charge when I do use it, throttling it down to 32A, or less, is exactly what will be happening.

And how do you plan to do that?
By manually remembering to set it in the car?

If it’s a 100% robust idiot proof safe solution you shouldn’t have to fiddle with current. But guess you know it’s not since you feel you need to throttle it down.

And how do you plan to do that?
By manually remembering to set it in the car?

If it’s a 100% robust idiot proof safe solution you shouldn’t have to fiddle with current. But guess you know it’s not since you feel you need to throttle it down.

Yes, for the once a week I'll need to charge, I'll take the extra 5 seconds of my life, enjoying sitting in my Tesla, pushing a small button a few times to get satisfying results. Bonus is, I'll remember you each time I click that button and remember this thread on how you seem to enjoy making others feel inferior, and have failed miserably.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and P85_DA