Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit Card Errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I knew I'd be traveling this week, and I logged in to update my credit card expiration date. Since I couldn't update the card, I deleted the current payment method and re-added the card with the new expiration date. I thought everything went well until today I received a warning after charging the 2nd time that I'm no longer permitted to supercharge. My car, phone app, email and online account all tell me I have no payment method on file and can't supercharge again until a payment is entered.

When I go to Account > Manage Payment Method, the current method alternates between "none" and a Visa symbol with no other information. It changes every time I reload the page. The "add payment" button, I assume, is blank, but there is a remove payment button.
Screenshot 2020-09-23 171705.jpg

If I try removing this payment method, it spins awhile and tells me there's an error. If I try to add a payment method, after I fill out the information and submit, it spins awhile and then tells me "Sorry, your credit card could not be saved at this time, please try again later."

I tried contacting support, but after filling out the chat request form, the button is greyed out and won't let me connect to chat. I tried it at 4:30pm Central/2:30pm Pacific. According to the chat form, they're supposed to be open until 3pm Pacific.

So I'm stuck having to use alternate charging methods until Tesla's website accepts my credit card. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution other than "hope the website comes back soon?"

I'm in the UK and received a message from Tesla an hour ago saying that my supercharging account doesn't have a valid payment method. My credit card details seemed to have disappeared from the system. This was followed by a second e-mail from Tesla saying that my Tesla Supercharging Access is now unavailable. I've tried to update the payment details but it doesn't accept them.

I wonder if this is linked to the network problems?

We recently (two days ago) had our main card compromised. Although we use it a lot online tend to be very careful with it & it was also the card we used for Tesla. I wonder if they didn't have some sort of attack which compromised user CC data and may also have something to do with the fact that lots of web services for Tesla have been down today to include app/account access for some and Trip Planner for me. I'm not saying Tesla had a breach but someone did and I'm just drawing a possible conclusion based on my limited first-hand data set. The two are likely unrelated but just throwing that out there in case others start to echo similar experiences.

I received a similar message "We noticed your Tesla Account doesn’t have a valid Supercharger payment method on file." regarding a supercharging session during the morning of Sep 23, 2020. An afternoon session did not generate such an email. My credit card on file doesn't expire for several years. I suspect these messages were related to the Tesla network outage. I will wait a day to pay the unpaid balance as credit card still appears to be on file and I don't want to be double charged. Maybe it will settle overnight?

Sure enough, the card details show this morning, and I was able to pay. It's frustrating that Tesla's payment system is setup so that a failure on their part treats their customers like deadbeats instead of just suspending payment attempts while their servers are down.

Reactions: Ken43
We had a similar error yesterday while driving two states away from home. Although the card on account had expired last month, we had updated the card and paid all supercharging bills on the second day of the month. Now on the the 13th day of the month, in the middle of a long trip, we are getting an on-screen message that supercharging was disabled.

Fortunately I remember our account password, and was able to access the account. The credit card saved to the account was valid, and a dialog appeared to "Pay bill", which we did, without re-entering the credit card details. The $5.00 bill was payed and the on-screen message disappeared within a second.

Any idea what was going on. All I can say is be sure to keep you Tesla password available when traveling.

No supercharging issues yet, but it appears the Premium Connectivity subscription disappeared from one of our cars. CC details all appear good, but the account details now say that car has only standard connectivity with no subscription or renewal date. Don’t know how long it’s been that way - my wife usually drives that car and she prefers the uncluttered vector maps over the satellite ones, so there was no immediately-noticed change in the car.

Sure enough, the card details show this morning, and I was able to pay. It's frustrating that Tesla's payment system is setup so that a failure on their part treats their customers like deadbeats instead of just suspending payment attempts while their servers are down.

It seems a glitch in their system, though paying the bill is very easy.

It has happened to me twice, both on the road, but we paid it before arriving at the next Supercharger.

Some people have said that you can still Supercharge with an open balance, but I haven't tried that.