TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Credit card fraud on preorder?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Andrew W, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Andrew W

Andrew W New Member

Hi All,

I used a credit card that I only use for Amazon for this preorder. Today I got a fraud alert from somebody trying to buy something at Best Buy.com. They could have guessed my number but the tesla order is the only other think I have used this CC for. Did anybody else get a fraud alert?

2. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

No but we had the CC I wanted to use for the deposit get closed for fraud and I didn't have the replacement in time. I don't think it would have mattered though as it was a Discover and I don't think Tesla was accepting Discover anyway.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

how do you know that it wasn't stolen via amazon?

4. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I've had charges show up on cards that had never been activated, let alone used! Credit card fraud no longer is just form a stolen number at the time the card is used.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. LaCostaRacer

LaCostaRacer Member

Exactly- I would suspect Amazon more than Tesla. I have had a couple of frauds on my AMEX card and that number was used at Amazon and occurred long before 3/31/16 when I used the card for the M3 reservation. I have had about 4 defrauded card numbers in 4 four years so it's not a rare event for me.

6. Andrew W

Andrew W New Member

I am certainly not saying it was from the pre-order. Just wanted to check if anybody else had a similar issue. Sounds like nobody else does so I think it is safe to say it was not the pre-order that caused it.

Well, back to waiting patiently and trying not to count the days.

7. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

If the card has an RFID chip in it, the card number can be stolen by someone just being in proximity to the card (for example, standing next to you/your wallet on the subway).