TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Credit card payment

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by diamond225th, Apr 19, 2013.

1. diamond225th

diamond225th Member

Any reason why I can't use a credit card for partial payment of my Tesla Model S? I was told this isn't possible:eek:. My question is why? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The credit card company takes a small percentage fee out of the payment so Tesla would either have to charge you more or take a hit on their profit. Would be great for points though.

3. LazyBear

LazyBear Member

I believe in some states it is prohibited by law. I remember same situation years ago when I was buying a car and dealership only accepted a check

4. Doug Martoccia

But I was allowed to put my deposit down with my Mastercard...just saying...

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Deposit up to $5k has always been allowed. This compares well to local dealerships here who usually have a $2k limit.

6. mlemke

mlemke Member

I once put some PWC's on a credit card and the dealer was afraid of the credit card protection. They told me there is no 3 day right of rescission on motor vehicles, but that by buying with AMEX, the credit card company provided me the ability to return the Sea Doos in a few days. I told them I would sign an affidavit promising not to return them and they accepted the card. Small time dealer so take that with a grain of salt, but if I were in his shoes I would have the same concern.