Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit card slipped under sliding console door (tip to recover)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, let's dispense with all of the usual non-productive comments up front. Yes, you should never leave a credit card or other similarly thin object on top of the center console sliding door. Yes, you can always get a replacement card from your bank (although you'll have the hassle of re-writing all of your automatic payments with the new number). Yes, in spite of all of these "best practices" you can still find yourself in a pickle if you have a momentary lapse of concentration and do it anyway.

My card slipped all the way along the horizontal track and wound up in a vertical position at the end of the track (see picture). There was no way to recover it through the holes in the bottom of the track or sticking a thin sticky tool in between the space that the card originally slipped through. I did, however, recover it pretty easily and quickly as follows:

1. Remove the top of the sliding door. There are YouTube videos on how to do this by aftermarket companies like RPM.
2. Pop out the driver's side panel about halfway down the length (this is a necessary step to remove the door anyway).
3. Use a dinner knife to shove some thin, very sticky tape like Gorilla clear, into the cavity and grab the card
4. Carefully lift and pull the card out of the cavity until you can grab it with your fingers or tweezers.

Voila! I extricated the card in about 10 minutes worth of effort. All of the pieces have pretty robust clips so the chance of breaking something is pretty slim, but do exercise gentle, but firm pressure when unclipping them. Good luck, I hope this works for you.

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.58.40 AM.png

I had a license slide under there and didn't even look for a month as I assumed it was way back there... Finally popped off the wireless pad and the license was still on the top-side and hadn't fallen in the back. Made a loop of box packing tape on the end of a butter knife and got it out VERY easily!

At least check and see if it has fallen to the back or not. If it hasn't it's very easy to get out!