TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Creep is off, but Hold wasn't coming on. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by disagree, Jan 15, 2017.

1. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Noticed today that my (H) was not coming on when I pressed down on the break. As a result, as you can imagine, my car would roll when I wasn't expecting it to.

Any thoughts on why it wasn't working? I toggled creep on and off and reset the touchscreen to see if that could help. Nopers.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In Tesla Model S and X, Creep is unrelated to Hill Hold is my understanding and experience.

3. hacer

hacer Member

Hill hold comes on when you are already stopped and you press further on the brake. It is not supposed to happen just by braking to a stop.

• Disagree x 1
  4. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Hold the brake pedal for a few seconds after stopping. You will see (h) appear in a few seconds to annunciation it is active.

• Like x 1
  5. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

I guess I should have started with a disclaimer that I'm not an idiot. :eek:

I know how hold works. It wasn't working.

The relation to creep -- why I mentioned it -- is this: with creep off and hold not working, the car rolled backwards unexpectedly on me. And I could not get hold to activate for the remainder of my drive home. Once I got into my garage I tried the technology cure, toggling and resetting *sugar* in the hopes that that would solve the problem. It didn't.

Magically, though, the next time I took the car out it was working again. So who the heck knows.

• Like x 1
  6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I knew you weren't an idiot from your former posts, so I was interested in responses too. I've had similar inconsistent and uncommon experiences although unable to determine any causation. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. ;)

• Funny x 1
  7. hacer

hacer Member

I'm not trying to imply anyone is an idiot. A lot of people don't read the manual, and anyway the manual changes over time. The feature used to be called hill-hold and it used to time-out quickly but it doesn't work that way with newer software. How it behaves is supposed to depend on the surface grade:

My experience has been that my car never engages Vehicle Hold on a level surface *unless* I give the pedal extra pressure after stopping. This technique will put my car in hill hold in any stopped condition (in drive). I think many people get used to it automatically happening on upward hills (and level) so they don't know about the extra pressure technique. I wonder if my car's level sensor is biased so that flat roads are measured as slightly down-hill. That would explain why it doesn't auto-activated on level roads.

• Disagree x 1
  8. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I rely solely on self activation regardless of terrain.
    But glad to see you are reading the manual, because you are correct......many do not.

9. hacer

hacer Member

This could be why you get inconsistent results. You should try giving it extra pressure the next time it doesn't seem to work. Note that once it's engaged, pressing the brake again will turn it off.

10. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Sorry, I'll clarify - self activation meaning me, the self being 'me and my foot adding pressure" versus what you earlier called automatically activating. Anyway, as I noted it's uncommon and I'm tuned to it in the event it occurs. Maybe I'll figure it out but not worried. Just thought I might find a hint here. Thank you Hacer.

11. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

#11 Aljohn, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    I think the difference may be interpretation..... The manual says it will automatically apply and the (H) will display. I hold the brake pedal until the (H) is on the dash and then release. Keep in mind the release is pressing the brake pedal or accelerator -- so pressing the brake pedal lightly will release the hold. I never have a problem by making a deliberate action by pressing the pedal fully and only releasing the brake pedal when the (H) appears. In my experience, a simple one-foot re-gen slowing and lightly pressing brake pedal does not activate Hold (H).

This is the Model X manual (prior post was for the S -- they may be the same, not sure):

"When Model X is stopped, Vehicle Hold continues to apply the brakes even after you
    remove your foot from the brake pedal. When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as
    you normally would. You can release the brake pedal, and remain stopped (even on a hill),
    whenever the instrument panel displays the Vehicle Hold indicator light.

This indicator displays on the instrument panel whenever Vehicle Hold is engaged.
    To disengage Vehicle Hold, press the accelerator pedal or press and release the
    brake pedal. Note: Shifting into Neutral also disengages Vehicle Hold.

• Informative x 1
  12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

It always works for me in the way you describe, Aljohn.

13. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

"That's weird. It's never happened to me. Glad it seems to have righted itself."

Feel free to copy-paste.

14. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

That's weird. It's never happened to me. Glad it seems to have righted itself. :)

• Like x 1
  15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The older feature's name was Hill Assist, not Hill Hold.

16. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I had a similar issue last week with my air suspension failing. A few hours later it magically works again. I think the Model-X has a self-healing feature. ;)

17. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

It'd be better if it had an 'always work consistently' feature :)

• Funny x 1