Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep mode, Am I the wrong one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the "they have always been like that" argument isnt really valid. And yes, you SHOULD always be in control, but there have been plenty of creep mode accidents where a car has driven over someone in creep, so lets bid farewell to something that only actually existed to stop the early torque converters from over-heating.

I think you may have misunderstood me, that wasn't my argument.

The specific argument was that creep mode means you are not in control of the vehicle so my point was that it is not inherently dangerous, as evidenced by automatics always having been like that, and you are in control, but in a different way. This is not an agument that one is better than the other, nor that I have any particular reason for wanting either to be dropped; as I have already said I prefer hold mode.

I'm not disputing that there have been creep-mode accidents, but I would probably dispute that there have been "plenty", because if it was a significant problem then it would have been outlawed.

I've never had a problem with either mode, they both feel natural after a short period to me; the only car I ever had an issue with was an old XJS I used to run because that crept significantly faster when it was warm (it would do about 15mph if you let it) which made parking after long journeys a bit surprising if you forgot.

Reactions: browellm
Some Tesla's may have auto brake scrubbing, but do all of them? On our 2014 Model S I am about to change all the discs and pads, not because they are worn, but because of horrendous corrosion on the inside of all the discs. Will definitely do a bit manual braking occasionally once I have got round to fitting the new ones.
Back to topic, I agree with the personal preference thing line. If someone isn't in control of their car because of creep, they shouldn't be driving at all.

In an ICE vehicle using engine braking you could "advertise" the severity of braking by pumping the brakes - flashing the brake lights.
Only option now might be to turn on the hazard flashers when emergency braking.
I can attest that hazard lights do come on automatically if you emergency brake.

Handy feature as I’m not sure I’d have enough wits about me to remember them immediately in an emergency.

Basically Creep mode has a failsafe built in whereas the other option doesn't.
I wouldn't call a mode "failsafe" that, with no user input, continues to move the car. I think most people who prefer creep mode are really saying that's what they are used to .. we all naturally feel more comfortable with what we are used to, so that's not surprising.

I wonder what people would think if hold mode was universal and car makers tried to introduce creep mode. I suspect everyone would be very scared of a car that could move by itself with no pedal input.

I can attest that hazard lights do come on automatically if you emergency brake.

Handy feature as I’m not sure I’d have enough wits about me to remember them immediately in an emergency.

Not done an emergency stop in my Tesla yet (touch wood!)
As for "not enough wits" there's another flaw in using *my* hazard flashers as the button is next to the e-call button in the roof so I have a 50:50 chance of stabbing the wrong button! :(

(pre 2021 Model 3's had both an e-call button and hazard flasher button in the roof controls, current models only have a hazard button now)

Not done an emergency stop in my Tesla yet (touch wood!)
As for "not enough wits" there's another flaw in using *my* hazard flashers as the button is next to the e-call button in the roof so I have a 50:50 chance of stabbing the wrong button! :(

(pre 2021 Model 3's had both an e-call button and hazard flasher button in the roof controls, current models only have a hazard button now)

Yes, that was a terrible design decision on the hazards... thank goodness they changed it.

I prefer the car in "1 pedal driving".

SWMBO's AMG C43 has a "hold" mode and my Morgan Plus 8 Auto has an old school 4.8L naturally aspirated V8 that has massive engine braking, but then I have to hold it on the brakes or use the hand brake...

It is a point of honour for both of us never to use the brakes unless it is an emergency = we didn't anticipate properly!!
Over use of brakes is a waste of fuel, as braking converts kinetic energy developed from petrol or a battery into heat.
The C43 has run almost 35,000 miles and is still on the original discs and pads.

Reactions: Durzel
I wouldn't call a mode "failsafe" that, with no user input, continues to move the car. I think most people who prefer creep mode are really saying that's what they are used to .. we all naturally feel more comfortable with what we are used to, so that's not surprising.

I wonder what people would think if hold mode was universal and car makers tried to introduce creep mode. I suspect everyone would be very scared of a car that could move by itself with no pedal input.

I suppose I mean you hover your foot over the brake so any sudden movement will stop the car instantly. And it goes no faster than walking speed anyway.

the alternative could be a sudden movement accelerating your car backwards.

I suppose I mean you hover your foot over the brake so any sudden movement will stop the car instantly. And it goes no faster than walking speed anyway.

the alternative could be a sudden movement accelerating your car backwards.
I find that my foot never leaves the brake. I gently feather the braking force to get the speed I want.
As you say if something startles you then your instinctive reaction will to be press down on the brake rather than the accelerator.
@browellm's post should be a sticky though :)

After nearly 2 years of ownership and reading this thread I thought I should try out creep mode. Have to say I was very surprised how fast the car ‘creeps’. Much too fast for delicate manoeuvring in reverse in particular. I’ve been very impressed how easy the M3 is to drive at snails pace in either direction if required by gentle use of the right pedal. Needless to say, after my experiment I’m now back in Hold mode.

Reactions: Mik3LR and browellm
Think the experience is different if you’ve rarely driven an automatic.
Having driven almost exclusively manual ice cars for 27 years on the few occasions I’ve had to drive an automatic I’ve absolutely hated the creep. Trying to get an unfamiliar automatic into a tight parking spot without it lurching forward and backwards is horrible.
Hold just seemed perfectly natural. I find it very hard to understand why anyone would want it any other way

(I only stomped on the brake instead of the clutch a couple of times before I learned not to do it)

But having to pull the gear stalk backwards to go forwards and forwards to go backwards I can never get used to. Why?

Reactions: stuigi99
Having driven almost exclusively manual ice cars for 27 years on the few occasions I’ve had to drive an automatic I’ve absolutely hated the creep. Trying to get an unfamiliar automatic into a tight parking spot without it lurching forward and backwards is horrible.
A lot of that is to do with unfamiliar cars. Even going from my own automatic to an automatic hire car took a bit of learning. When I get a manual the learning takes a little bit longer.
Hold just seemed perfectly natural. I find it very hard to understand why anyone would want it any other way
They both behave almost exactly the same. The only difference is what pedal you use to control the speed. Thank heavens for choice!
But having to pull the gear stalk backwards to go forwards and forwards to go backwards I can never get used to. Why?
You should be moving it up and down :)

It's not a binary situation. You can lift you foot a little to go much slower, or a lot to go faster.
I don’t get this! In my car in creep mode if I take my foot off the accelerator and don’t put my foot on the brake to engage hold the car the car slows down and then creeps excessively fast with my foot on neither pedal. Are you suggesting that if I put my foot on the accelerator a fair bit it will go slower and if I then lift it a lot it will go faster? Surely not!

I like it to stop when I take my foot off. I can then drive in forward or reverse as quickly or slowly as I wish using only the accelerator.

I was explaining how these work and the “hold” to another OAP this weekend - who had only ever driven a manual car The description I used was like driving a dodgem car (which I last did over 50 years ago). The dodgem did not move unless you pressed the single pedal, the more you press the faster it goes. When you lift off it is like regen braking and then it slows to a halt.

The only difference is the multiple safety devices to make sure you don’t hit the other dodgem drivers - but they sure as hell can still hit you!

Similar to driving a tank / personnel transport too, for those that have driven one :p In my case, I was never in the army, I just drove an old personnel transport "tank" as an activity in another country once. But now that I think about it, it's similar to one pedal driving on my Tesla. In fact, the Tank had stronger braking when you let go of the pedal. I think I'd like my car to be more like that.

Creep mode is just for people used to automatic gearboxes as they pretty much all still do it.

I was already used to one pedal driving as I've driven fork-lifts and various other battery powered vehicles at work for years now. You almost never touch the brakes on those either.