Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep mode, Am I the wrong one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like 1 pedal driving. The fact the car only moves when I put my foot on the throttle is something i have really become used too. Both my Model 3 and my wifes leaf drive work like that, so we have both got very used to it.
Here is the problem, Every other EV i have driven (ID3 and Niro) both have no way of turning off creep mode. Its not so bad going forwards, but in reverse its very easy to feel like you are out of control of the car. I get why this is an option, some people may like this as the move over from the ICE car. But having driven EV's for 2 years, no for me, the lack of ability to turn this on/off makes them non-starters for me.
Am I the wrong one here? Should this not be something that can be set as a user preference like it is on the leaf and Teslas.
PS: if anybody know of any EV's that do have "true" one pedal driving like leaf and tesla, please let me know.

I had an ID3 (until it became too problematic and I ended up selling it back to VW) and I actually liked the B mode. The roads I travel on mean I very rarely need to come to a complete stop.

That said, to answer the original question... the BMW i3 has one pedal driving and will come to a complete stop. Although I think that model's not long for this earth.

Reactions: a1psx
I had an ID3 (until it became too problematic and I ended up selling it back to VW) and I actually liked the B mode. The roads I travel on mean I very rarely need to come to a complete stop.

That said, to answer the original question... the BMW i3 has one pedal driving and will come to a complete stop. Although I think that model's not long for this earth.
Thanks, but given the I3 is basically a Mini now. There is hope.

Edit: Just noticed they dont do a Longer range Mini... Shame

The Peugeot e-2008 GT I’ve got on a temporary subscription creeps, but also doesn’t hold properly on hills? Worst of both worlds. Was nice to drive my Model 3 and be able to come to a complete stop with one pedal driving.

Non-Creep folks here outnumber the Creepy folks 2 to 1. I actually have Creep on with both my Model 3 and Model X. My wife and I are both creepy. Unless you never again have to drive an ICE, it is easier to just have it on so you don't have to re-train yourself when you have an ICE rental. Also with creep on, it is less motion sickness for me. When my mom sits in the Tesla, we have to have creep AND chill on so she does not get motion sick.

People should be in control of the vehicle at all times, you are not with "creep" (personally think it shouldn't be allowed)

Automatics creep in drive and reverse, as far as I know they always have. You control the creep speed using the brake, if you are not in control of the car in that situation then that's more of a reflection on your driving skills than anything else.

Having come from an auto to my Tesla I expected I would be most comfortable using creep but it took me around ten minutes to decide that I prefer hold and I'm getting pretty good at judging stopping distances with regen only now although I make a point of doing some heavy braking a few times a month to keep the discs clean.

[...]although I make a point of doing some heavy braking a few times a month to keep the discs clean.
This is a myth that never seems to die. Teslas automatically engage the friction brakes every now and then (just a little bit, it's hardly noticeable if at all). There is no need to do that manually, at least if it's occasionally cold or wet.

From the manual:

Brake Disc Wiping​

To ensure brakes remain responsive in cold and wet weather, Model 3 is equipped with brake disc wiping. When cold and wet weather is detected, this feature repeatedly applies an imperceptible amount of brake force to remove water from the surface of the brake discs.

Last edited:
Water yes, surface corrosion/contaminants? Not in my experience.

I put my M3P into neutral and coast down a local hill when driving into work, to scrub the surface crud off the disc. I pretty much never use the brakes otherwise.

(I think pre-2021 cars might have stronger regen? It’s a setting on my car)

I never really worried about my brakes and I don't seem to have surface corrosion. Then again, if it's only half true what they say about the rain in England, we might both be right in our personal experience ;)

You clearly haven't seen my discs! Lucky you if you don't have any surface corrosion. Long periods of damp weather and salt on the roads in winter ... it's a killer.

Automatics creep in drive and reverse, as far as I know they always have. You control the creep speed using the brake, if you are not in control of the car in that situation then that's more of a reflection on your driving skills than anything else.

Having come from an auto to my Tesla I expected I would be most comfortable using creep but it took me around ten minutes to decide that I prefer hold and I'm getting pretty good at judging stopping distances with regen only now although I make a point of doing some heavy braking a few times a month to keep the discs clean.
That is my experience exactly too.

Yep, it's surface corrosion I'm trying to keep away.

I don't tend to be very heavy on the brakes in my cars, so I've had problems with surface corrosion in the past and as a result it's become a bit of a habit to try to prevent it.