Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep mode, safer? But does it effect range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think either method is safer or more dangerous, it is which ever you are comfortable with. As far as the mythical "unintended acceleration," it seems that Tesla is addressing it in Ver 9:

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
For Model 3, and Model S and Model X with Autopilot HW 2.0+ (~Oct 2016 to present).

Tesla wrote about the feature in the release notes:
Acceleration is automatically limited if an obstacle is detected in front of your vehicle while driving at low speeds. Obstacle-Aware Acceleration can be enabled or disabled in Controls > Autopilot.

With creep on, when you release the brake the car moves either forward or backwards depending upon direction selected. If you make a mistake it’s easy to depress the brake to stop since your foot is still over the brake pedal.
With creep off, you remove your foot from the brake and step on the accelerator. If you were mistaken about whether D or R was selected, you must quickly move your foot back to the brake.
While I personally enjoy coasting to a full stop with creep off, when a new driver drives my car I first select creep on.

Reactions: FlatSix911
All be very careful when you enable Creep Mode. On hectic morning I was dropping off our kids to school, we were late so obviously the stress level was high. At the drop off point I slowed to a stop BUT failed to put the parking brake on. With Creep Mode enabled the car continued to roll even though my car door was open! The car continued to roll forward until it bumped the car in the front. Fortunately no one was hurt. I would have thought if the car door was open it would have disabled the Creep Mode roll forward, it does not so be extra careful! We have since disabled Creep Mode and now enjoy the "Hold" feature when breaking for a few seconds.

We later conducted some tests with Creep Mode in a safe off road area and confirmed that the car WILL continue to roll forward as you open the driver door that contradicts with the owners manual as it states the car WILL STOP. So be very careful how you use this mode! I've reported it to Tesla, however no response yet!

No, it won't disable it, for safety reasons. You really don't want faulty sensors to kill the car's drive.unless absolutely critical.

I think I’m convinced that creep mode is safer. Mostly for tight areas, backing out if garage, Backing into a charger etc
I appreciate your point. But when I took delivery of my first Tesla in 2013 I turned Creep off immediately and have never enabled it on any Tesla I have owned since. I prefer it off, and enjoy the precise low speed throttle control that the electric drivetrain provides.

I left creep on for pretty much the same reasons as the OP pointed out. I feel safer feathering the brake when making slow, precise maneuvers than feathering the accelerator. A Simple press down with my foot to stop makes sense to me after decades of driving automatics. More power to those who prefer creep off, though. To each their own.

That was from this video. He starts discussing EAP and creep around 3:30 into the video.
He's just wrong. If you have creep mode enabled, and you come to a stop, you can engage Hill Hold mode by just pressing in a little extra on the brake and releasing it. At that point, your foot is no longer on the brake, but the brake is engaged. You can active AutoPilot/TACC just fine. I do this all the time. I don't know why he thinks it's so hard. The key is to put it in Hill Hold mode. But if you're already completely stopped, it takes half a second to do that.

Yes, if you're *creeping* (meaning lightly pressing on the brake but still moving forward because Creep Mode is on), then you can't activate AP because the brake is pressed. But you can still release the brake and activate TACC quickly. If you're 2 feet from the car in front of you, you might want to get a bigger gap before you do it. But it's really easy.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been searching around and can't find the answer to this question:

Does creep mode actually wear on your brakes more? Just sitting at a stoplight on flat ground - aren't your brakes actually still working to stop the car with creep mode on? As opposed to creep mode off, when the car would not be moving at all, and the brake doesn't need to be engaged.

If the answer is yes, then this would be another advantage to creep mode off.

• Funny
Infinitesimally.

The motor still switches off when you actually stop, it cuts off at about 1mph on Roadster for sure - it's why it's impossible to bring a Roadster to stop smoothly unlike SX3 that can disable creep - and automagically hold the brake at standstill.

btw: even if the motor were at full power and you were holding on the brake, it wouldn't wear - no rotation, no friction, no wear.