TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Creep off but prevent roll backwards?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DeadEnd, Jul 1, 2016.

1. DeadEnd

DeadEnd Member

I like having creep off but is there a way to prevent rolling backwards on hills without turning on creep?

2. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

If you have autopilot hardware, then pressing the brake firmly while stopped will engage the hold feature, which will keep the brakes on until you begin accelerating even if you remove your foot.

If you have a pre-autopilot car, then the car will automatically engage hill hold while on a sufficiently steep slope, which will keep the brakes engaged for up to two seconds (I think) after you release the brakes.

• Informative x 1
  3. DeadEnd

DeadEnd Member

Just picked up my new Model S yesterday. Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I will try it out on the way home.

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Excellent! There's a little H in a circle which shows up in the upper right of the instrument cluster when the hold feature is engaged. Just look for that to see whether you've done it or not.

5. travwill

travwill Member

Yeah, hold was added in software version 7.0 and I didn't know if I'd like it at first but now its the norm. Just a tiny bit of extra pressure and the H comes up, it holds, etc. Otherwise you can stop as usual, even use the breaks some, and feather off without hold. Works really well.

Careful when you get 100% use to it daily and then get in other normal ICE cars, especially since they creep forward, etc. Hate using other cars now without the hold, etc. ;-)

6. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

Hill Hold works without Auto Pilot hardware, you just don't get the "H" indication.

7. chillaban

chillaban Member

I wish that Tesla would automatically hill-hold. My Audi would automatically engage brake based hill-hold if I'm on a hill and the ABS sensors detect the car starting to roll back.

8. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Mine does that. As long as you use the brake pedal to stop, hill-hold will be active. You can see the gray H, and the brake lights on in the IC display. Now, if you remove your foot before you completely stop, it may cancel out. I tended to release the brake just as I was coming to a stop to smooth out the inevitable jolt. Sometimes, especially if stopping uphill, that will cause hill-hold to not engage. But easy to learn to not do that.

9. chillaban

chillaban Member

I think you're right — it's based off how hard you stop with the brake. I guess I had bad experiences using light braking to come to a stop during parking maneuvers, and having the car roll backwards as a result of slowly coasting to a stop and reversing direction…

The Audi system doesn't care. Even if gravity is what causes your car to move back while in Drive or move forward while in Reverse, the car automatically stops that movement with the brakes until you press the accelerator enough to overcome it.