TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Creep on or off and why

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rsk12, Apr 8, 2018.

1. rsk12

rsk12 Member

Hi

Just wondering if you have the Creep on or off in your MS. I turned it off and drove for a while and noticed that when I come to a stop the car would roll backwards if I took my foot off the brake if the road has a slope. is there any advantage in driving with the creep off.

Thanks in advance
    rsk

• Helpful x 1
  2. cmal

cmal Member

My previous car had a manual transmission, so I turned creep mode off. I don't know if there's an advantage, but it seems more natural to me. I did notice that the brake will stay engaged once I touch the brake pedal after stopping, even after I take my foot off the brake. I haven't tried it on a steep slope though, so I'm not totally sure about the backward drift.

• Like x 3
  3. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

The (H) icon is like an emergency break to hold the car in place. It works the same with creep on or off. But seems to come in with less pressure on the break with creep off. I use it often at a stop in either case. I have been using creep on and recently tried creep off for a few days then went back to creep on. Mainly for parking in the garage. It was not as hard as I thought using creep off but I think safer with creep on for a least my wife who drives infrequent.

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Creep off, and use hillhold when stopped whether hillside or flat.
    Took some time and practice, but I have a better feel for my car and how it behaves with no creep, and can maneuver it anywhere just fine. .Just a personal preference......

• Like x 1
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Off. When you think about it, it's weird that we're okay with the idea that a car would move without pressing the go pedal.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 1
  6. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Creep on: you let off accelerator to slowly back in the garage. You get a bit distracted and when you again look into the mirror you are just inches away from the wall. You jump the brake. But miss it and hit the accelerator.
    You make the news as another unintended acceleration guy.

Creep of: You don't press accelerator you do not move.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

With Creep off, you need to depress the accelerator to reverse/back up right?

Will you get confused that you are stepping on the brake and press the accelerator hard with the intention to come to a full stop and end up reversing full speed into the garage wall?

• Like x 1
  8. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

Creep ON for me! I don't like to roll backward unless I have placed a car in reverse. Never liked rolling backwards in my standard vehicles either.

• Like x 1
  9. WarpedOne

I do not want to move: brake
    I want to move: accelerator
    I do not care: nothing
    I am done: park

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#10 cwerdna, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Huh? In conventional automatic transmission cars and my pre-'18 Leaf (which has no option to turn off creep), when you pull forward into a parking space or back in, you modulate the brake pedal when you're about to come to a stop.

I almost never back into my garage, unless I have to and the other car is not in there, as well. If you looked in the garage of every private residence in the US, I suspect you'd find that 80 to 90+% of the vehicles are pulled forward into the garage, not backed in.
    True, but if someone is used to an automatic transmission (virtually every single light vehicle sold to consumers in the US), they have creep and the directional cueing benefits below. They could accidentally fall back to a bad habit and crash when pulling forward into a spot.

Someone at my work with an EV posted to one of our EV internal mailing lists (they were a Spark EV driver for years and later a Bolt) about somehow accidentally crashing their Bolt while pulling forward into a parking spot. While we didn't get a final answer as to what happened (driver error, problem w/car, etc.), someone hypothesized that the person drove in L mode which has no forward creep and were used to feathering the brake before (on cars with creep) but screwed up and applied those motions to the accelerator.

Per Federal Register, Volume 68 Issue 94 (Thursday, May 15, 2003) from Prius links.
    (emphasis mine)
    Earlier this year, I test drove the Bolt for a 2nd time and noted that while in D, it functions like a conventional automatic transmission car (has forward creep). In L mode, there was no forward creep but there is no L position for reverse, so you DO get reverse creep in R. R creep can't be turned off. The above .gov document has more about Priuses and Civic Hybrids and their creep.

(BMW i3 has no forward no reverse creep. I posted about what I overheard while in the i3 test drive line at CES before they went on sale in the US: BMW i3 vs Leaf - Page 3 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Someone was clearly thrown off by lack of creep and startled.)

11. Mark_T

Mark_T Active Member

It is the other way around, more likely to end up with unintended acceleration with creep off as you are feathering the accelerator.

With creep on, in slow parking manoeuvres your foot is already on the brake, worst case you end up with unintended braking force.

• Like x 11
  12. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

If you push the brake pedal a little harder while stopped (the (H) symbol is displayed on the dash) and release the pedal the car doesn’t move even on a slope!
    You can start driving by using the accelerator or disable the hold function (H) by pressing the brake pedal again.

I love it and keep creep mode always OFF!

• Like x 3
  13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Well-Known Member

What I find bizarre is you can't set it exactly like you want it.

Like I'd like creep off, but at the same time I'd like it not to roll backwards without bothering to use hill-hold. Ideally it would obey the accelerator like some other EV cars do. I'd also like more adjustability of regen. Basically to the point where I could come to a complete stop exactly where I wanted to just by feathering the accelerator.

I should try to figure out what the rate is of unattended acceleration on EV's like the Bolt where the accelerator can also act as a brake. Although I probably would find anything of value since it's a mode you can turn on, and it's tough to say what percentage of drivers use it.

14. WarpedOne

So, all those "unintended acceleration people" were driving with creep off?
    Or was it the other way around and they were used to creep?

Difference is ICE automatics are not as trigger happy as tesla's are.
    Go and use creep but do not come crying here how you took down the garage wall and tesla is to blame.

No, you are.

• Disagree x 3
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I don't think creep on or off will solve the issue that Smart pedals won’t put the brakes on driver error asserts is the cause of some unintended accelerations.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

IANATO(Y) but I'd have creep on. We have two cars, and the other would creep. It's also rarely flat enough here not to need the brake.

17. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Creep on!

I don't want to make the mistake that the car is still in D without me noticing it. Hitting the pedal by accident and then flying away.

• Like x 5
  18. Mark_T

Mark_T Active Member

This feels like a somewhat reversed conversation; in creep mode the Tesla is going to behave lust like all the other automatic cars that the general population is used to driving, so no, there isn't really any greater chance of a driver hitting the wrong pedal during those slow manoeuvres as it is all familiar territory, with the foot mainly on the brake pedal.

With creep off, a new way of driving has to be learned and the foot will be mainly on the accelerator pedal if the car is moving at all and that is where there is an increased risk of muscle memory cutting in and pressing the 'go' pedal to stop, or as some report, bumping up against a restriction on the ground a little earlier than expected and inadvertently applying increased throttle...

... but either way, we should all drive with the settings as we prefer them to be, but I'd argue there is a strong case for defaulting to creep as that is what the majority of drivers are already used to...

19. Zythryn

Zythryn M3 Silver, M3 Midnight Silver

Creep Off.
    Any motion is under my control. In addition, I feel I have a finer level of control moving small distances with creep off, rather than with creep on.
    I came from 25 years of driving automatics that all had creep. Creep off took a few days to get used to, but once I did it felt much more natural, convenient, and safe.

• Like x 5
  20. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Creep on. Keep in mind that a lot of the older cars don't have hill hold. I find it much safer to know the car is always going to either go forward slowly or not move rather than not move or may roll backwards.