Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep on or off and why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. It's 100% natural for me to (now subconsciously) press that little bit more at each stop to enable "hill hold" (like above, even on flat surfaces).

And like @derekasch said, it's weird that as drivers we have been conditioned that a car should move forward without an accelerator pedal being pushed.

After only a week of driving a Tesla, that totally was reversed in my mind: now I'm annoyed when I have to periodically drive an ICE and the car drifts forward on a flat road with no gas pedal pressure. Seems wrong. Creep mode = "ICE mode".
I think you meant @Derek Kessler not me :)

I notice many advocates of creep-off mention that having a car accelerate without having the accelerator applied is a bit "odd."

I notice many of these same people advocate use of hill hold, which is a car braking without having the brake applied. This would, by principle, have to be equally odd.

I suppose one can advocate both positions, but it is logically inconsistent.

I prefer creep on. Just like regen allows me to drive with one pedal, creep allows me to park with one pedal. I don't like having to move my foot between accelerator and brake within inches of my house. Also, if I ever think I'm in drive when I'm accidentally still in reverse, my foot will still be on the brake when my brain figures it out, and I'll be able to immediately stop the car.

Reactions: .jg. and evp
What's consistent is the belief a car shouldn't move unless the go pedal is used.

Just as consistent as the flip side which is if you are going to make a mistake with a pedal, it is way safer that it be the brake not the accelerator...

Once again this really is a personal choice and you need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable and in control at all times.

Nobody is going to 'win' this debate and nobody has a monopoly on the 'right' answer.

Reactions: evp
Creep ON for me! I don't like to roll backward unless I have placed a car in reverse. Never liked rolling backwards in my standard vehicles either.

Is the Tesla creep function equivalent to hill hold? That is, does it hold the car regardless of the slope? Not sure I would rely on that alone...

Personally, i have creep off and use Hold as needed. Tried creep, did not like it. And that is coming from many years of driving cars with automatic transmissions, which inherently have some creep. To me, Creep is not a natural part of the EV functionality.

The circumstance that has been cited a few times in relation to claimed 'uncommanded acceleration' cases is the one that worries me most.

You have to have your foot on the accelerator to move during the slow phases of a parking manoeuvre, if the front wheels encounter an unexpected obstruction the sudden stop can cause the foot on the pedal to exert more pressure than intended, albeit briefly which given the instant power of the Tesla then results in a much greater reaction from the car than would be the case for an ICE vehicle.

Also there is still the muscle memory around the 'hill hold' and rolling back...

I'm not suggesting that creep on or off it automatically 'better' as long as you are prepared to learn and retrain to suit the one you choose, but I certainly don't accept that 'creep off' fully removes the risks associated with muscle memory and feathering the accelerator vs the brake.

So in the case you describe, is the Creep always enough to surmount the unexpected obstacle? If it is not, then isn't the behavior the same -- you have to press the accelerator and still run the risk of pressing too much, right?

I have no garage, so maybe I have less need for the creep.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if in 10 years time creep is not an option on new Teslas.

I can't think of any logical reason to remove it as an option, especially as for some people at least, it is an important option to have.

So in the case you describe, is the Creep always enough to surmount the unexpected obstacle? If it is not, then isn't the behavior the same -- you have to press the accelerator and still run the risk of pressing too much, right?

The point is that when the object is the curb, you don't want to be surmounting it anyway, but the danger with your foot on the accelerator pedal is that you do exactly that unintentionally...

Creep is 100% a function of how internal combustion engines with automatic transmissions work. It's in no way a "safety" feature.
I come from a street rod background, We put engines with insane amounts of HP and hot racing cams (Chevy was a favorite) into very light cars. When using automatic transmissions (Chevy was a favorite), "creep" was a problem when the engine would overpower the transmission at a stop. This would require lots of brake pedal at any stop light. We would spend lots of money finding the right torque converter to take most of the creep out of the car.

We would have competitions called "slow drags" where the car completing the straight course in the SLOWEST time was the winner. The course would have obstacles like 2x4's to traverse but you would always have to make some forward progress with "creep" (no full stop was allowed) or otherwise you would "red light" and be disqualified. The idea was to have just enough "creep" to overcome the obstacles without using the brakes or accelerator.

I don't know what all the fuss is about "creep" in an EV I will turn it on when needed (like the hills of San Francisco) and turn it off in the flatlands. No big deal. Should be a fun experience to take an EV to the "slow drags!"

[Edit] Street rods are now being built as EVs and are showing up at the drag strip. The insane torque of an EV in the 1/4 mile is a challenge for a stock ICE of comparable HP to overcome.

I have creep turned off because I come from a manual car (‘00 Miata, ‘87 323 long before that) and I never did like the way an automatic (a ‘95 Corolla I drove between the Mazdas) would inch forward without the brake applied.

I like the Hold because, even in my Miata, I would use the handbrake to keep the car from rolling after I was stopped at a long light. I wish my wife’s Q7 had Hold. I miss it immediately when I’m driving her car.

I may have still have it on, if not for dangerous slopes. so it's off.

The problem is, Tesla, like most other cars, don't handle sliding on a icy slope very well when it comes to what the electronics could do.

If creep is on, and you start sliding backwards down an icy hill, until you switch to netural or reverse, not only is the breaking bad due to 70/30 brake power - but any traction the first moments that count are killed due to wheels only want to forward.

with creep off, the car car roll freely backwards, and regain traction much sooner, with less input.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
I am confused on why people used to driving manual don't like creep. I have driven manuals most of my life and manuals absolutely have creep (naturally, the clutch needs to be engaged). Yes, with the clutch pressed, the car will not go anywhere, but the same is true for automatics if you throw it in Neutral.

With my cars, I am used to using the clutch to modulate the creep while keeping my other foot over the brake. I don't like having to move my foot between accelerator and brake during delicate maneuvers - creep works well in those situations. At stop lights or if I will be stopped for a while - I just put on Vehicle Hold.

Reactions: Silent Ludicrosy