Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep ON or OFF?

Creep ON or OFF?

• Creep ON

Votes: 152 34.8%
  • Creep OFF

Votes: 277 63.4%
  • I have no idea what you're talking about! What is this Creep Stuff all about?

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On, As I alternate between an ICE and the S its just more consistent driving experience between the 2 and I dont forget which one im in at the moment.

Im sure the next question is going to be regen normal or low. I prefer low, less jerky in stop and go traffic and incidental evidence of longer tire wear. On long freeway road trips i bump back to normal for the extra regen.

Both my wife and I have creep off.
Can't stand it when I get in any car with it automatically on.

Creep off gives me more control at low speeds.

I am completely sold to "creep off".
However, my wife strongly prefers "creep on" because it resembles the behaviour of her car (a Prius) more.

If I am not mistaken, toggling creep mode can only happen in P-mode (probably to avoid dangerous situations by unintentionally changing the setting).
I guess that is why it is not linked to the driver profile, which is kind of a bummer in our case...

Before I ordered my MS I test drove a couple and I absolutely loved the Creep OFF function. It felt like I was driving a stick, but of course not really.

However, in reverse, where I normally just ride the brake, I'm not as fond of it.

Wondering your thoughts on the creep?

I was basically going to post the same thing as a new owner. I wish I could saw Forward Creep off, Reverse Creep on, just as I'm comfortable riding the friction brakes backing up/backing in.

Another thing I really, really, really wish was there - hill hold EVERY time I come to a full and complete stop for more than 5 or 10 seconds. Too many times I'm on a weak hill and start to roll back when I let go of the brake before I can hit the go pedal. Some scary moments when idiots come right up to my rear end (the rear camera doesn't let me see beyond their bumper/headlights).

I wanted to go with creep off and started that way, but parking in my garage was a major headache that way. I have a very tiny slope, I did not even realize it until I tried to park with creep off. But with that it meant that in order to slowly move the car into the garage, I had to keep switching like crazy between break and go pedal, or use both of them with 2 feet, which felt awkward. Otherwise the car would either start to move too fast for my comfort in the tight space or start rolling backward both of which made me very nervous that I would scrape the car on the door frame.

With creep on it is very easy, I just lightly touch the break pedal and the car moves forward very slowly, easy to control. So creep on gives me 1-pedal parking possibility, while creep off requires high-frequency switching between the 2 pedals.

I'm the exact opposite. At first we had creep on and we found it difficult to park in the garage. My garage is not very big so I have a laser pointer parking assist device that turns-on via motion sensor. I have about a 1-inch margin front-to-back when pulling-in. With creep on, if I go too far, I then have to put in reverse. However, since the garage has a slight slope, if I pull-in too far without creep, I just let off of the accelerator and it slowly rolls-back. Much easier and my wife agrees.

I've always assumed that ICE cars had creep because the transmission design required it. To engage a clutch suddenly would cause more wear than simply letting the car creep a little.

I've chosen creep OFF, but the real coup here is the fact that it's a user choice.

You're somewhat correct. With torque-converter automatics, it's somewhat of a requirement, in that the fluid is always actively going through the transmission, and when the engine is idling, the fluid pressure will cause the "creep." With dual-clutch transmissions, the mechanism has to engage the clutch as you take your foot off the brake. This is something you can distinctly feel. With manuals, you have to "ride the clutch" to get creep. Not having much EV experience, I guess it's something that I'd have to play around with and get used to.

Exactly what I was going to write! :)
I've only owned manual ICE vehicles, but how does someone go their whole life without driving an automatic even once? Friend's vehicles, rentals, etc.? Never?

I leave creep off. I find no real reason to emulate the mechanism ICE automatics use to keep from stalling out while remaining in gear at idle. If I want to move slowly forward, I'd rather pick the speed myself rather than either letting the car choose for me, or fighting its choice by riding the brake.

1. Creep isn't strong enough to hold the car still on steep slopes, it can still roll backwards. It can also carry you uphill on milder slopes so if you're stopped you still need to hold your brake depressed.
2. Going on 3 years with no creep and neither my wife nor I have any problem reversing or parking. It's what you're used to and feel comfortable with.

As far as "safety" is concerned, best practice is to stay on the brake anyway while the car is stopped. With creep on you don't want to roll forward on level surfaces and with creep off there's always a risk that someone rolls into you and you push forward into the next guy. Holding your foot on the brakes also means your tail lights are illuminated, that's the safest option of all.

That doesn't help because without creep if you are uphill holding the brake, you then have to take your foot off the brake when you switch to the accelerator pedal to move again and in that short time the car can roll back into the car behind you if they dont keep enough distance or if you accelerate too quickly to compensate then you hit the car in front. It is much easier dealing with creep than risking an accident without creep.

I wanted to go with creep off and started that way, but parking in my garage was a major headache that way. ...

I'm the exact opposite. At first we had creep on and we found it difficult to park in the garage. My garage is not very big so I have a laser pointer parking assist device that turns-on via motion sensor. I have about a 1-inch margin front-to-back when pulling-in. With creep on, if I go too far, I then have to put in reverse. However, since the garage has a slight slope, if I pull-in too far without creep, I just let off of the accelerator and it slowly rolls-back. Much easier and my wife agrees.

I'm with gavine on this. I started with creep ON and thought it was pretty cool. Then realized that it was just feeding the vampire and not giving me any capability I needed or wanted - not to mention maintaining a small part of the ICE driving mentality (well, maybe that should be non-Tesla driving mentality). I thought "wide car, narrow garage" meant I needed creep, but this turned out to be a non-issue.

That's for me - obviously, YMMV.

My car has it off.
My wife's has it on.
Just got back from a 1200 mile road trip in her car.
Still keeping it off in my car.
She commutes with very congested traffic and claims it is easier for those situations.
I'll never commute with traffic, its against my nature...

Off. Whether you are facing uphill or downhill, Hill Assist gives you 3 secs to transition from brake to accelerator. That should be plenty of time. Once you are familiar with the sensitivity of the accelerator, it is quite remarkable how precise this car can be maneuvered in tight spaces.

Off. Whether you are facing uphill or downhill, Hill Assist gives you 3 secs to transition from brake to accelerator. That should be plenty of time. Once you are familiar with the sensitivity of the accelerator, it is quite remarkable how precise this car can be maneuvered in tight spaces.

I just wish hill assist worked on smaller slopes. I routinely am rolling backwards when a red light turns green in the brief span between removing my foot from the brake and hitting the go pedal. Put me on a steep hill, and it works fine. And even the 3 seconds it gives you is plenty. But I just wish it would turn on far more often, like every time I've had the brake depressed for more than 5 or 10 seconds.

After many years of driving ICE vehicles, I am very used to creep...creep on is a far more comfortable feeling (safety) for me...too old to change now...

1. Creep isn't strong enough to hold the car still on steep slopes, it can still roll backwards. It can also carry you uphill on milder slopes so if you're stopped you still need to hold your brake depressed.
2. Going on 3 years with no creep and neither my wife nor I have any problem reversing or parking. It's what you're used to and feel comfortable with.As far as "safety" is concerned, best practice is to stay on the brake anyway while the car is stopped. With creep on you don't want to roll forward on level surfaces and with creep off there's always a risk that someone rolls into you and you push forward into the next guy. Holding your foot on the brakes also means your tail lights are illuminated, that's the safest option of all.

When I went for my test drive forever ago, I was expecting that I'd want Creep enabled since I was coming from an automatic. The woman who was doing my test drive encouraged me to just try it with Creep off and so I did.

Found that I much preferred the response and control with Creep off. At the time Hill Hold wasn't a thing (IIRC) so there was a considerable amount of drifting at stoplights if I didn't stay on the brakes but no issues really when starting back out.

Sure, the car rolls slightly in whatever direction your grade is, but I think people are over-estimating how far you actually move in relation to the cars around you. Back into a space sometime in a parking lot and go until your car says "STOP" (which is about 12"). It looks like you're about have someone's grill through the back of your car. Now get out and look at the gap between the vehicles. Sure they're close, but there is about a foot gap still. Even if for some reason (**cough** Maryland drivers **cough**) a person stops that closely to you at a stop light and you roll back 6" (a high estimate) before getting on the go-juice, you've still got that entire distance again before any crunching.

Other posters have the correct answer though: Having this be user selectable means that everyone is right :D

Sure, the car rolls slightly in whatever direction your grade is, but I think people are over-estimating how far you actually move in relation to the cars around you. Back into a space sometime in a parking lot and go until your car says "STOP" (which is about 12"). It looks like you're about have someone's grill through the back of your car.

The car says "STOP"? Are you making a joke and I'm not understanding or is there something about the Model S I am not aware of? I have not seen my rear camera display any text.