Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep ON or OFF?

Creep ON or OFF?

• Creep ON

Votes: 152 34.8%
  • Creep OFF

Votes: 277 63.4%
  • I have no idea what you're talking about! What is this Creep Stuff all about?

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, 18mph must be autosteer? Or is that a total bs number?
What he said....

You need to be going 18MPH to engage the system on a clear road. When there's a car in front of you, there's no speed requirement. I've often engaged TACC+Autosteer while waiting at a stop light.

Also you can't set TACC to a speed lower than 18 MPH.

Engaging TACC at a stoplight used to be my way of letting the car keep itself stopped before they introduced the hill hold feature.

I have creep on only because the car needs to fit in a very tight garage. I only have about 15in total clearance in front and behind my car for the garage door to close. I tried to park in the garage without using creep but it was really nerve wracking. I don't like to mess with the setting so I just left it in creep.

I have creep on only because the car needs to fit in a very tight garage. I only have about 15in total clearance in front and behind my car for the garage door to close. I tried to park in the garage without using creep but it was really nerve wracking. I don't like to mess with the setting so I just left it in creep.

I'm confused on how creep on = very tight garage vs. something more like "creep on b/c I'm uncomfortable with throttle in my very tight garage". I ask because I back into my garage with creep off and fit without enough room to let me pass in front of the car before the garage door. If I need to get into my frunk, I have to leave the garage door open so I fit there. This is why it is confusing to me how creep on vs. off determines fitting in your tight garage unless the missing link is it is the throttle doesn't provide fine enough control for your desires.

Now, if you say you prefer creep on b/c it is easier to fit in a very tight garage, cool. Preferences will always be preferences.

So maybe the short of it is that I'm being too technical and you didn't mean to imply that the car cannot fit if creep was off?

I'm confused on how creep on = very tight garage vs. something more like "creep on b/c I'm uncomfortable with throttle in my very tight garage". I ask because I back into my garage with creep off and fit without enough room to let me pass in front of the car before the garage door. If I need to get into my frunk, I have to leave the garage door open so I fit there. This is why it is confusing to me how creep on vs. off determines fitting in your tight garage unless the missing link is it is the throttle doesn't provide fine enough control for your desires.

Now, if you say you prefer creep on b/c it is easier to fit in a very tight garage, cool. Preferences will always be preferences.

So maybe the short of it is that I'm being too technical and you didn't mean to imply that the car cannot fit if creep was off?

I'm confused by how you can be confused by my comment. I simply stated that I have creep on because I have to park in a garage with tight clearance. Nowhere in my comment indicated that it's required.
I have no preference on creep other than the fact that having creep on decreases the car's efficiency ever so slightly when you have to stop the car completely at a light or stop sign.

I think its ultimately personal preference. I have my rear camera up on my screen 24/7 and many Tesla drivers think I am crazy. Thankfully, we each get to choose that setting as well. :)
Having the rear camera on all the time is great. You get to see the blind spots--it's good even if you use the head wobble outside mirror adjustment like I do.

I'm confused by how you can be confused by my comment. I simply stated that I have creep on because I have to park in a garage with tight clearance. Nowhere in my comment indicated that it's required.
I have no preference on creep other than the fact that having creep on decreases the car's efficiency ever so slightly when you have to stop the car completely at a light or stop sign.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted the below. I took it to mean that the car wouldn't fit otherwise/it couldn't be controlled in a manner to make it fit otherwise. Makes sense now. Thanks. Next time I shouldn't sign on to the forums for a distraction from debugging code as I'm in a debugging mindset. :)
I have creep on only because the car needs to fit in a very tight garage.

Having the rear camera on all the time is great. You get to see the blind spots--it's good even if you use the head wobble outside mirror adjustment like I do.

That's one thing I dislike the most about the camera vs. a rearview mirror is the ability to expand your field of view by moving your head. I do that all the time still on the rearview mirror in addition to having the rear camera up.

Creep is assigned via driver profile. I have a "Garage" profile when the car is home. Doors dont lock, creep is on, battery meter on % setting.

For my driving profile, I got creep off, etc.

My wife's driver profile has creep on

That is a smart way of handling this. I am very happy that Tesla recently (past few months) moved Creep to the driver profiles.

I'd be curious to know why you can't change the creep setting while the car is in drive. The only time I take it out of creep is in rush-hour traffic when it can decelerate all the way to zero. But to do that, I need to wait till traffic stops for a second, go to park, change creep setting, then go back to drive. I can't think of a physics reason why this restriction is in place.

I'd be curious to know why you can't change the creep setting while the car is in drive. The only time I take it out of creep is in rush-hour traffic when it can decelerate all the way to zero. But to do that, I need to wait till traffic stops for a second, go to park, change creep setting, then go back to drive. I can't think of a physics reason why this restriction is in place.

If you have an "InTraffic" profile will it change while moving?

...I'm in Florida . . . what's a hill? Is that like going up the front side of a speed bump? :)
16210068859_11c560f2e6_c.jpg

^ Florida

25341063084_ae5992a2fc_c.jpg

^ Not Florida

25837645996_f6fc4d968f_c.jpg

^ Hill driving