Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep, Roll and Hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a loaner model 3 and I noticed it had a feature of "HOLD" under driving along side of creep and roll. see pic.
How come we dont have this on our model S??? mine is a 2017 MS but only see creep and Roll.
i loved how M3 would stop fully and i dont have to press the break however in my MS i have to press break for full stop and hold it there or the car does move.
Also M3 slows down significantly when i release accelerator however my MS does not. i think it used to but now it doesnt break much.

Anything I am missing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 7.52.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 7.52.34 PM.png
    95 KB · Views: 422
So I had a loaner model 3 and I noticed it had a feature of "HOLD" under driving along side of creep and roll. see pic.
How come we dont have this on our model S??? mine is a 2017 MS but only see creep and Roll.
i loved how M3 would stop fully and i dont have to press the break however in my MS i have to press break for full stop and hold it there or the car does move.
Also M3 slows down significantly when i release accelerator however my MS does not. i think it used to but now it doesnt break much.

Anything I am missing?

My MS will hold if you press and release the brake pedal after stopping.

As for regen braking, what do you have your Controls > Driving > Regenerative Braking set to?

I have a 2021 Long Range Plus, which I just took delivery of, so I guess that would be a Raven.

I just checked and I have Creep, Roll, and Hold options. I had it set to Creep as I thought I preferred the car to act like an automatic transmission. I will try Hold and see how I like it and how the regen works.

On another note, I do not have an option to adjust the amount of regen when I let off the throttle. Was this feature removed with a recent software update or do the Ravens not have this feature available?

@ADEEL421 I have a 2017 Model S as well.
We are stuck with a motor technology that doesn't allow for "hold", because we have electromagnetic motors on our cars (both front and rear).
Model 3/Y and newer Model S/X have electromagnetic motor on the rear, and permanent magnets motor on the front.
The permanent magnets motor allows for the "hold" functionality.
Ahhh...this explains well. Thanks

The OP references their personal vehicle as a ‘17 that does not have an option for hold. Thus, my comment about my ‘16 having brake hold is relevant.
No, it’s not. You’re talking about a different feature. Look at the menu screen shot in the first post. Now go try to find that setting with the same three options in your car. You won’t find it. Whatever you think your car has is not what’s being discussed in this thread.

Ok, before you blow a gasket here, take a breath and relax. I should’ve chosen a different word, other than “option.” My apologies.

I get it. Different drive units, different technologies, hence different features. You are referencing the menu screen of the Model 3. I am referencing this:
i have to press break for full stop and hold it there or the car does move.
In my car, at a full stop, I can release the brake because it switches to HOLD. This also what swt2c stated.

The reason I mentioned brake hold originally was because OP stated "in my MS i have to press break for full stop and hold it there or the car does move." which seems like the OP is unaware of the brake hold functionality.

My refresh ‘16 has hold as well.
Yes, my 2016 S90D has this as well. Whoever “disagreed” with your post is not informed of the multiple iterations of brake boosters that have been shipped since 2012. Its not the same as current production but it “holds” the brake after manually coming to a stop. Its very handy and I love being able to hover my foot over the accelerator awaiting the green light.....

• Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
it “holds” the brake after manually coming to a stop.

Let me try...: The part I bolded is where the confusion is coming in. No one is disputing that you have brake hold in the sense you describe.

FULL STOP/NEW TOPIC: The question raised by the OP involves the distinction between older cars having "Creep" or "Roll" options (perhaps not called exactly that, I don't know), whereas the newer ones have "Creep," "Roll," and "Hold." The first two operate just like they did on the older cars. The third option allows the car to come to a complete stop on its own: regen down to whatever "min speed" is, then apply the brakes to come to the full stop (at which point, the "brake hold" you are discussing kicks in, as if the car had been braked manually to the full stop).

Reactions: jlv1 and pilotSteve