Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep, Roll and Hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Break HOLD is not the same as the Creep / Roll / Hold option being asked about in the OP. Your '16 does not have the feature being asked about.

No kidding. Re-read the quote to which part of his statement that I am referencing. How else do I paint this for you in order to comprehend?

Two separate things are being addressed. A handful are talking about the different features offered up by the Model 3 that the OP mentioned; creep, roll, hold.

Myself and a couple others are talking about the OP’s part of his statement that if he lets go of the brake pedal the car moves. Our posts are in regard to this, and only this. Our cars will hold (H) after releasing the brake. We know it’s not the same as the Model 3.

Yes the ability to adjust the strength of the regen was removed from the Raven builds at the time the one-pedal driving (regen to hold) feature was added.

I have yet to receive my MS, however I had one for a test drive. There were several times it came out of FSD and because of regenerative breaking immediately slowed down almost to a stop before I pressed on the gas. People in back of me almost slammed into me. It's really a shame you cannot turn off the regenerative breaking as needed. Can be dangerous.

I have yet to receive my MS, however I had one for a test drive. There were several times it came out of FSD and because of regenerative breaking immediately slowed down almost to a stop before I pressed on the gas. People in back of me almost slammed into me. It's really a shame you cannot turn off the regenerative breaking as needed. Can be dangerous.
You just need to take 10 seconds and learn how to drive the car. It’s not hard, but it is different.

You can set the regenerative braking to 'Low' in the settings, but not turn it off.

The car will turn on the brake lights when aggressively regenerative braking.

I was not aware the 3 (and presumably the Y) had this feature: Creep/Roll/Hold. Will be nice to have in the ‘21 Refresh S’s. I do appreciate the brake hold we have now.

As mentioned earlier, ALL Model S and Model X (Ravens) built from May 2019 onwards have the Creep/Roll/Hold setting, as they all have the Permanent Magnet Motor from the 3/Y on the front.

You actually cannot change regenerate braking anymore. At least on the 2020 MS. I even asked the sales associate.

when I test drove the 2021 S in December the SA spoke to me about the regen braking. We decided to change it to low and that is how I test drove it. No reason to think it will no longer be available unless you have some inside info

The brake hold feature on your car is not the same option that is being discussed here.

@ADEEL421 I have a 2017 Model S as well.
We are stuck with a motor technology that doesn't allow for "hold", because we have electromagnetic motors on our cars (both front and rear).
Model 3/Y and newer Model S/X have electromagnetic motor on the rear, and permanent magnets motor on the front.
The permanent magnets motor allows for the "hold" functionality.

So I recently drove a 2020/2021 Model 3 and once thing I noticed is that the car can go to a full stop and hold its position without you engaging the brake.

On my 2017 Model S 60 if I am on a ramp or anywhere that has a slope, with regenerative braking set to HOLD the car does not generate enough power to either hold the car in place whereas the Model 3 loaner I have now can do. So I guess this is the motor technology you are mentioning?

On a separe thing, I am not sure if it's the AWD/Dual Motor thing compared to RWD/Single motor but the my Model S 60 does not seem to have the same aggressive regenerative braking compared to a Standard Range Model S I drove and these are even less compared to Model 3.

So Model S RWD < Model S AWD < Model 3 Dual Motor

Is it because they have a front motor or is there any other setting I am not aware of?

Thanks

So I recently drove a 2020/2021 Model 3 and once thing I noticed is that the car can go to a full stop and hold its position without you engaging the brake.

On my 2017 Model S 60 if I am on a ramp or anywhere that has a slope, with regenerative braking set to HOLD the car does not generate enough power to either hold the car in place whereas the Model 3 loaner I have now can do. So I guess this is the motor technology you are mentioning?

On a separe thing, I am not sure if it's the AWD/Dual Motor thing compared to RWD/Single motor but the my Model S 60 does not seem to have the same aggressive regenerative braking compared to a Standard Range Model S I drove and these are even less compared to Model 3.

Is it because they have a front motor or is there any other setting I am not aware of?

Thanks
Yeah, the new stuff does it better.

Thanks

Everything you said here is correct.

The single motor S will have less regenerative stopping ability than the dual motor S (two motors each doing regen = more regen). The 3, Y, and the newer (Raven-build and later) S and X have even stronger regen profile due to the different motor tech which allow for true one-pedal driving (e.g. regen to a complete stop) but they lose the "low" regen setting.

Conversely, my wife who is going to be the primary driver of our new Model Y is having a tough time getting used to the regen (she have never driven an EV before) and really complains that it doesn't drive like a "regular" car :) .

I kind of wish Tesla still had a low regen option like my 2019 Model S has so I could set that for her to allow the car to coast a little more when her foot comes off the pedal.