Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cricking from passenger side A pillar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have this problem and/or know of a fix? My car has developed a cricking sound from the passenger's A-pillar in the area cirica the speaker and the lower windshield. I call it a crick as opposed to a creak because it is more of a click than a squeak. Quite disturbing in what was until now a beautifully silent car. (No, there are no crickets in there.)

photo.JPG

The crick is intermittent and seems to occur when the car body flexes as opposed to going over symmetrical bumps. It occurs frequently though is difficult to produce at will. The crick is of constant volume and is not affected by music level or music on/off. Loud music masks it but I prefer to drive in silence.

If a passenger pushes and releases the long A pillar covering, the entire piece cricks as it moves slightly in and out which does not happen on the driver's side. This is not identical to the intermittent crick though it does suggest the pillar covering may not be as secure as the driver's side. The clips seem to be holding the pillar covering securely and I've pushed it to make sure it is seated well.

Any ideas or suggestions? Have you noticed anything similar on your car?

I've got something like this from the A pillar on the passenger side. Getting the car back from service today. Will report on what was done and if it went away.

Got the car back today from the Fremont SC. The crick/creak was diagnosed and fixed thus:

"Road tested the vehicle and confirmed that there is a creaking noise in the right front dash top area. Removed the upper A-pillar trim and road tested the vehicle. Found that the creaking noise was coming from under the dash at the dash base. Clearenced (sic) the dash base sheet metal from the A-pillar sheet metal and sealed the area with butyl cord. Re-installed the upper A-pillar trim. Road tested the vehicle and confirmed that the creaking noise is no longer present."

Got the car back today from the Fremont SC. The crick/creak was diagnosed and fixed thus:

"Road tested the vehicle and confirmed that there is a creaking noise in the right front dash top area. Removed the upper A-pillar trim and road tested the vehicle. Found that the creaking noise was coming from under the dash at the dash base. Clearenced (sic) the dash base sheet metal from the A-pillar sheet metal and sealed the area with butyl cord. Re-installed the upper A-pillar trim. Road tested the vehicle and confirmed that the creaking noise is no longer present."
Thanks for sharing this gg. It makes me less nervous about stuff like dash upgrades (the vents) sometime in the future.

Got this fixed today (along with pano roof), but the SC diagnosis was more terse than gg's:

Customer Concern: Customer states: passenger side A-pillar makes a clicking noise.

Pay Type: Warranty
Cause:
Correction: Separate RH A-Pillar Body Panels
Performed sb-13-10-006

Can someone tell me where can download Service bulletin SB-13-10-006 A-Pillar Body Panel Creak (Eliminate the 'popping' or 'creaking' noise coming from the RH side A-Pillar. R1 clarifies where to pry apart body panels.)