TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cringely article on electric vehicles (refers to Model S)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scaesare, Mar 20, 2014.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

An impending black swan for electric cars

The comment about the Veyron is chuckleworthy.

And the point about Elon's gigafactory versus alternate technology is a bit uneducated methinks... but still a pretty positive article.

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

You have to start somewhere. Elon's primary objective is to bring Gen III car into production ASAP. There is no alternative to starting from (an incremental variation of) today's 18650 cell with Li-ion chemistry, if you want cars on the road in 2018. High demand for Model S&X seem to endorse that there is market potential for performance electric vehicles at +$35k price point.

3. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

A good article (When I read the thread title I thought "why does he write 'cringely' article? It's 'cringeworthy'! Lol) but 1/10th the charging time for future batteries, presumably with much higher capacity, too? That's unlikely, just the charging cable alone sets limits.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Read the article and disagree with his battery analysis. Tesla is taking the right path in investing in a battery technology that is proven and reliable. Recent history is littered with announcements of dramatic "advances" in battery technology that turn out to be failures in real world use and large scale production.

5. Barry

Barry Member

Cringely has written some interesting stuff on the computer industry over the years. IIRC, he had a computer-related show on PBS a number of years ago.

Re the batteries, I can't believe they would build a battery factory that cannot change gears as battery technology/chemistry improves.

6. tezco

tezco Sig P85

He also wrote a tongue-in-cheek column on the back page of Infoworld for many years.

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Even if someone came out with a breakthrough battery discovery tomorrow it would still take 10 years to test it, prove it, refine it, scale it, certify it, manufacturer it, and test it again in order to bring it to market.

Not sure where people get this idea that the time from "Eureka!" to "Here it is for purchase at quantity" is overnight.