Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Critical Review - The Armour Lab for PPF and Ceramic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicle - 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range Black
Service - Full Front XPEL PPF, Full 5YR Ceramic Coating including Interior

I've had the misfortune of having probably one of my worst automotive service experiences with The Amour Lab - Jordan and Shawn.

I brought my essentially brand new Model Y in for a full front PPF and 5YR ceramic coating a couple of weeks ago. Booked it in to drop it off on Friday Morning and to be picked up by Sunday 10am.

On Saturday afternoon after not hearing from them, I texted Shawn asking if the car would be ready. He checked and said it wouldn't be done by 10am, and likely around 4-5PM. OKAY fine, I'll pick it up around 5PM. Got a call from Jordan around 3PM..."I know you want to pick up the car for around 5PM, but honestly we just finished the car and I don't want you driving it home in the snow and slush. The ceramic coat needs to cure. It would be best to pick it up on Monday morning around 10am when we open." OKAY FINE..so I change around my whole schedule to pick up my car on Monday 10am. When I arrive at 10am, guess what...car is NOT ready. They are still working on the interior!! Jordan LIED when he said the car was done...I ended up waiting for 2 more hours before it is complete...Since I was already very late for other appointments, I didn't take the time to check out the work done and left to continue my day.

The next day while replacing my rear license plate frame, I noticed the rear license plate bracket was loose...closer inspection and I realized one of the screws was complete missing....So I take the bracket completely off to see whats going on, and low and behold, I see paint damage underneath. Apparently, someone there while trying to screw the bracket back on, missed the hole, continued trying to screw it in and completely damaged the paint on my BRAND NEW TESLA (See pictures). I called and complained, asked for them to make it right. They wanted me to drop the car off again for them to send it off to a body shop to get repainted...HELL NO. I will not let them touch my car again. They offered $200 then $250 compensation, Sorry not good enough. I finally agreed, but have yet to even receive a penny from them.

Decided to closely inspect the rest of my car especially the PPF. Noticed uneven alignment in the PPF at certain points, really bad cuts around all my sensors, DIRT trapped underneath the PPF that is causing small bubbling. When I brought this up to Jordan, his response is...get this..."This is normal, it is impossible to get everything off the car before we apply PPF"

Holy christ, AVOID THESE GUYS AT ALL COSTS. There are so many other much more professional shops out there that will treat your car right. These guys are amateurs, will lie to your face, will make up excuse after excuse about why something is the way it is, or why they can't meet a timeline they stated. They think their time is worth more than their customers.

Shawn/Jordan, I've given you guys a week to deal with this and make it right, and you haven't not. This story of my experience with you will be posted everywhere in hopes you don't rip off another customer for a thousands of dollars....

Vehicle - 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range Black
Service - Full Front XPEL PPF, Full 5YR Ceramic Coating including Interior

I've had the misfortune of having probably one of my worst automotive service experiences with The Amour Lab - Jordan and Shawn.

I brought my essentially brand new Model Y in for a full front PPF and 5YR ceramic coating a couple of weeks ago. Booked it in to drop it off on Friday Morning and to be picked up by Sunday 10am.

On Saturday afternoon after not hearing from them, I texted Shawn asking if the car would be ready. He checked and said it wouldn't be done by 10am, and likely around 4-5PM. OKAY fine, I'll pick it up around 5PM. Got a call from Jordan around 3PM..."I know you want to pick up the car for around 5PM, but honestly we just finished the car and I don't want you driving it home in the snow and slush. The ceramic coat needs to cure. It would be best to pick it up on Monday morning around 10am when we open." OKAY FINE..so I change around my whole schedule to pick up my car on Monday 10am. When I arrive at 10am, guess what...car is NOT ready. They are still working on the interior!! Jordan LIED when he said the car was done...I ended up waiting for 2 more hours before it is complete...Since I was already very late for other appointments, I didn't take the time to check out the work done and left to continue my day.

The next day while replacing my rear license plate frame, I noticed the rear license plate bracket was loose...closer inspection and I realized one of the screws was complete missing....So I take the bracket completely off to see whats going on, and low and behold, I see paint damage underneath. Apparently, someone there while trying to screw the bracket back on, missed the hole, continued trying to screw it in and completely damaged the paint on my BRAND NEW TESLA (See pictures). I called and complained, asked for them to make it right. They wanted me to drop the car off again for them to send it off to a body shop to get repainted...HELL NO. I will not let them touch my car again. They offered $200 then $250 compensation, Sorry not good enough. I finally agreed, but have yet to even receive a penny from them.

Decided to closely inspect the rest of my car especially the PPF. Noticed uneven alignment in the PPF at certain points, really bad cuts around all my sensors, DIRT trapped underneath the PPF that is causing small bubbling. When I brought this up to Jordan, his response is...get this..."This is normal, it is impossible to get everything off the car before we apply PPF"

Holy christ, AVOID THESE GUYS AT ALL COSTS. There are so many other much more professional shops out there that will treat your car right. These guys are amateurs, will lie to your face, will make up excuse after excuse about why something is the way it is, or why they can't meet a timeline they stated. They think their time is worth more than their customers.

Shawn/Jordan, I've given you guys a week to deal with this and make it right, and you haven't not. This story of my experience with you will be posted everywhere in hopes you don't rip off another customer for a thousands of dollars....
I think you had a bad luck. I just finished my full front and ceramic at Armour lab and they did an amazing work. It always better not to rush such work and give it time to dry. I found both Jordan and Shawn very professional and they also explained me in details the process including the after care. You also have the warranty in case you are not happy with the results.

Reactions: rvanevery
Hmm, a lot to take in on this one.

First and foremost, you're overreacting about the schedule (and in general), he's doing a stand up job suggesting you wait to pick it up since a good ceramic coating does need some time to cure. He could've certainly said "Sure, come get it!" if he didn't value your business and his work.

Are you certain the scratches weren't there before? You only seemed to notice because of the missing screw. Even if they did create the scratches at least they are offering multiple options to remedy the situation rather argue it was already there.

Precut film alignment isn't the simplest thing to do even with years of experience and manual cuts can be even harder. Dirt around the edges is very commonplace on PPF. If you actually post the images then we'd have a better idea as to what you're talking about.

Frankly, this place sounds like a decent shop that simply had a bad customer.

First and foremost, you're overreacting about the schedule (and in general), he's doing a stand up job suggesting you wait to pick it up since a good ceramic coating does need some time to cure. He could've certainly said "Sure, come get it!" if he didn't value your business and his work.

Are you certain the scratches weren't there before? You only seemed to notice because of the missing screw. Even if they did create the scratches at least they are offering multiple options to remedy the situation rather argue it was already there.

Precut film alignment isn't the simplest thing to do even with years of experience and manual cuts can be even harder. Dirt around the edges is very commonplace on PPF. If you actually post the images then we'd have a better idea as to what you're talking about.

Dirt on edges of brand new ppf is the norm? First ive heard of this. I did a diy PPF on my 3 and ha d no dirt anywhere. Under the film or along the edges. Dirt developed on the edges over time. I used a pre cut film and all my edges came out super nice, 2nd time doing it. A shop should not have this issue.

He posted pics over here: Tesloid / Armour Lab - PPF, Vaugn Ontario. Any Reviews?

The cut-outs around the sensors look abysmal and the seam is quite noticeable between two sheets of PPF. I had PPF done elsewhere and it looks nothing like the photos the OP posted, sensors are cut out very well and clean.

I did see the post on the Canadian Model Y Facebook group where one of the two guys responded to him (Jordan? not sure). He was just making excuses for the bad cutouts "we're human not robots". I think that thread is deleted now, though.