Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Criticizing the Criticism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My list of the top 3 cars in the world, If I had to choose only 1 to own:

Tesla Model X
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model 3

Now this list does not consider value considerations (if you want to gift me a Bugatti Veyron, i'd sell it, buy a Tesla or 2, and pocket the difference).

My point is, the amount of criticism I read on the potential features, or lack of, for the Model 3 is comical. It's amusing to me because of what I know will happen - consumers will love it so much they'll never consider an ICE vehicle of equal (or even a bit more) monetary value. Owning a Tesla is that special. Haters'll always hate though, I guess.

I find it rather fascinating that people keep mistaking their own excitement with some universal truth.

Most of us here have been there, of course. My first post on this forum was similar ("Car market literally down to 2 cars today").

Still, realistically, we are a minority. For most people cars are things to take them and their stuff from A to B. For that the products need to meet their needs.

Many of the criticims regarding Model X and Model 3 are quite real. Tesla will be wise to address them, e.g. like they did with the Model X seat issues (adding 6 seater and then 5 seater with folding - as a start).

Truth be told, a Tesla owner's forums - at least TMC - differs dramatically from other car forums due to the investor perspective.

Many other forums - say, your average German premium forum - are traditionally much more into the ownership experience and nobody, normally, would think about the stock price of the company.

So, it is a different experience.

Owning a Tesla is that special.
I hear this a lot.

"You'll love the Model 3, it's a Tesla!"

Yes, I know the Model S is an incredible car, but saying you'll love the budget car because the luxury version is a great car is a bit of a fallacy. If all Teslas were like Model S, I know I would love Model 3.

Problem is, Model 3 isn't a Tesla, it's a taxi.

saying you'll love the budget car because the luxury version is a great car is a bit of a fallacy. If all Teslas were like Model S, I know I would love Model 3.

Problem is, Model 3 isn't a Tesla, it's a taxi.
It's a base $35K car, hardly budget or a "taxi".

You sound butthurt and bitter - i'm guessing you can't even afford the base model so you're lashing out on this forum. Now go home and get your shinebox

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
It really comes down to the lack of competition or at least competition that gives us consumers a feeling of choice.

There is so little competition that the S is the competition for the 3. That's why Elon has been trying convince people that S is the flagship. When the reality is the S doesn't have any real flagship features as of now. I wouldn't call having two screens a flagship feature. The S sold for how much it did based on market demand and scarcity of competition.

The S was always a $60K car with a $100K price.

Lots of people like myself bought one accepting the car didn't have the rarity or the quality of a $100K car.

The bottom line on what makes the S special is the drive train. That's why it's okay that a $60K car is $100K.

The bottom line on what makes Tesla special is the Supercharger network. That's why it's okay to spend more money on a Tesla than on some other brand name.

With competition on those two fronts (namely VW since they're forced to) we'll see a lot more features for the cost.

As to the ownership being special I think you could classify the 2014-2017 time as being something special. During the time of the supercharger build out, and all the craziness with software updates with AP.

The 3 could be just as special on a different front. Where it's like about being the first to supercharge at some city, but it could be like an army of owners. The army that redefined what parking lots looked like.

Last edited:
It really comes down to the lack of competition or at least competition that gives us consumers a feeling of choice.

There is so little competition that the S is the competition for the 3.

The bottom line on what makes Tesla special is the Supercharger network. That's why it's okay to spend more money on a Tesla than on some other brand name.
This also is a fallacy, and assumes all Tesla buyers were shopping for an EV only. I myself did not buy a Tesla because its electric, but because it is the coolest and IMO best vehicle available. Many other Tesla owners are like myself in this respect. The real competition is not other EVs, but high-end ICE sedans and SUVs. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Range Rover, etc.

The Supercharger network is why Tesla is special? Uh, no. Not even close. I don't even know what would make anyone say that. It's super convenient for road trips, but the overwhelming amount of total charging is done at home.

Reactions: hckyplyr
Perhaps you are right, but Elon said upfront that the Roadster and S were priced to fund development of a $35K car for $35K.

I never questioned that going after the high end was the right way to go. You had to do in order to the get the margins needed to bring cost down.

The primary reason I brought it up is I don't feel like the Model 3 will be a huge sacrifice from what a 2016/2017 Model S is.

My list of the top 3 cars in the world, If I had to choose only 1 to own:

Tesla Model X
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model 3

Now this list does not consider value considerations (if you want to gift me a Bugatti Veyron, i'd sell it, buy a Tesla or 2, and pocket the difference).

My point is, the amount of criticism I read on the potential features, or lack of, for the Model 3 is comical. It's amusing to me because of what I know will happen - consumers will love it so much they'll never consider an ICE vehicle of equal (or even a bit more) monetary value. Owning a Tesla is that special. Haters'll always hate though, I guess.
There is something wrong with idolizing a self-proclaimed "Michigan Man" while praising a California automobile manufacturer. Can't you find a picture of John Wooden?