Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Critique My Strategy: Blindly Buying the Base Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I leased to be done with the depreciation risks. We have no idea what the next five years will bring, We can guess, but the competition itself will be something to watch for, in this brand new market of long-range EVs. If Mercedes or BMW knock it out of the park, what happens to Model S resale values?

I don't expect the competition to hit critical mass till 2022. By then model 3 will be in v2, with bugs shaken out, and other carmakers will have had a chance to iterate. Until then, I suspect S will reign.

I'm being lured in to early adoption at a steep surcharge. By 2022, cheaper/better should be everywhere. I suspect that's the sweet spot. If I enter before then, it's going to be emotional, not rational. OTOH, there are so many good reasons for this tech to be an exception to my normal early-adoption recalcitrance. This forum is a goldmine of temptation on that front.... :)

If I enter before then, it's going to be emotional, not rational.
Getting an awesome car is never rational. Just look at the marketing around cars...
Once I was able to quiet my rational brain long enough for my car-nut brain to take over, I clicked...

This forum is a goldmine of temptation on that front.... :)
Word.

Reactions: Julesp313
I don't expect the competition to hit critical mass till 2022. By then model 3 will be in v2, with bugs shaken out, and other carmakers will have had a chance to iterate. Until then, I suspect S will reign.

I'm being lured in to early adoption at a steep surcharge. By 2022, cheaper/better should be everywhere. I suspect that's the sweet spot. If I enter before then, it's going to be emotional, not rational. OTOH, there are so many good reasons for this tech to be an exception to my normal early-adoption recalcitrance. This forum is a goldmine of temptation on that front.... :)

Eric, I was attracted to Tesla because of the tech. I stayed for a lot of other reasons including:
1. Safety. Model S may be the safest production car ever made. We lose more than 30,000 people to automobile crashes in the U.S. each year. How can anyone who could afford it have their family ride in anything less?
2. Designed, owned, and manufactured in the U.S.A.. Almost all of the money spent buying the Model S stays here, helping Americans work for decent pay and, in turn, multiplying that money because they will spend most of it here.
3. No subsidy (paying for oil) to the very countries who would like to see us fail. And that is on their good days. They wish us much worse on their bad days.
4. No dealerships. Loss of value for new car sales to dealerships averages 8%.
5. State level corruption. Ask your state senator or assemblyman if s/he voted to prevent direct sales of Teslas to consumers. Then ask if s/he received political brib, er, I mean "donations" from auto dealers (many of whom sell foreign made cars) earmarked for this anti-free enterprise, pro-restraint of trade law. Then ask if he/she believes it might be more efficient to simply provide state welfare money in order to support wealthy auto dealers, rather than have them take money from consumers without adding significant value. Then ask if your vote will count in the next election.
6. Simplicity of design (reliability). Once you own a Tesla, ICE cars seem like Rube Goldberg devices, with radiators, fuel pump, pistons, valves, cams, crank shaft, spark plugs, timing chains, transmission (itself a tortuously complex, expensive to repair contraption), and exhaust system (to name but a few soon to be vestigial parts).
7. Less polluting than cars burning gas, even if fossil fuels are used in power generation.
8. Spacious storage capacity.
9. Safety. Did I mention that the Tesla Model S may be the safest production car ever made? If there were no other reasons to buy one, that alone would be sufficient for me.

Last edited:

The argument for dealerships I always hear is that it provides a face for the car brand where the customer can go when there is something wrong to get it resolved since it's difficult to get things fixed by a faceless corporate entity. Considering my VW dealership tried to screw me out of more $$ buy offering to buy the vehicle back at below the already depreciated trade in value when I asked about options in January... I don't have any trust that the dealership model provides me any protections, and if anything provides more incentives/opportunity for me to be lied to or be screwed over. This whole VW scandal has left a bad taste in my mouth for traditional car companies and ICE vehicles, I had already been saving to buy a Tesla as my next vehicle in the future; however, moved my timeline up and am leasing so I can be done with them sooner.

Eric, I was attracted to Tesla because of the tech. I stayed for a lot of other reasons including:
1. Safety. Model S may be the safest production car ever made. We lose more than 30,000 people to automobile crashes in the U.S. each year. How can anyone who could afford it have their family ride in anything less?
2. Designed, owned, and manufactured in the U.S.A.. Almost all of the money spent buying the Model S stays here, helping Americans work for decent pay and, in turn, multiplying that money because they will spend most of it here.
3. No subsidy (paying for oil) to the very countries who would like to see us fail. And that is on their good days. They wish us much worse on their bad days.
5. State level corruption. Ask your state senator or assemblyman if s/he voted to prevent direct sales of Teslas to consumers. Then ask if s/he received political brib, er, I mean "donations" from auto dealers (many of whom sell foreign made cars) earmarked for this anti-free enterprise, pro-restraint of trade law. Then ask if he/she believes it might be more efficient to simply provide state welfare money in order to support wealthy auto dealers, rather than have them take money from consumers without adding significant value. Then ask if your vote will count in the next election.
6. Simplicity of design (reliability). Once you own a Tesla, ICE cars seem like Rube Goldberg devices, with radiators, fuel pump, pistons, valves, cams, crank shaft, spark plugs, timing chains, transmission (itself a tortuously complex, expensive to repair contraption), and exhaust system (to name but a few soon to be vestigial parts).
7. Less polluting than cars burning gas, even if fossil fuels are used in power generation.
8. Spacious storage capacity.
9. Safety. Did I mention that the Tesla Model S may be the safest production car ever made? If there were no other reasons to buy one, that alone would be sufficient for me.
I want to bookmark this very very much.

Thank you, Java and e-FTW. I should have added:
10 - Driveability. Despite its almost 2.5 tons of heft, it is the most nimble car I have ever owned.
11 - Comfort. This car is made for long drives as well as for suburban driving. I read of one owner who charged $85 per night on AirBNB for someone to stay in his garage, sleeping in his climate controlled Model S (had to vacate by 8:00am so the owner could drive it to work).

Note that the really neat stuff that attracts people to Tesla (auto pilot, high tech controls and displays, etc.) is not even on this list.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Chopr147 and e-FTW
I too will be looking at a white base model, 19" wheels, plus the AWD, pano roof and black nextgen leather seats. I will add AP later. Nothing else is that important to me. This will be my car to keep for the next 8 years. I am hoping that a stripped down 60D will pull 0-60mph in less than 5 seconds.

I too will be looking at a white base model, 19" wheels, plus the AWD, pano roof and black nextgen leather seats. I will add AP later. Nothing else is that important to me. This will be my car to keep for the next 8 years. I am hoping that a stripped down 60D will pull 0-60mph in less than 5 seconds.

It claims 5.2 seconds for 0-60mph for the 60D, but it's initial speed of the line will still be impressive with the low end torque that all electric motors offer. Still will be the fastest vehicle I've ever owned w/ the 60D.

Reactions: nexsuperne101
I have seen youtube videos where it was pulling right around 5.0

Reactions: nexsuperne101
It claims 5.2 seconds for 0-60mph for the 60D, but it's initial speed of the line will still be impressive with the low end torque that all electric motors offer. Still will be the fastest vehicle I've ever owned w/ the 60D.
Agreed. No matter what the number ends up being, the way these cars get off the line is frankly otherworldly when you are used to every other car in the history of mankind. :)

I went for the base S 60 with just the PUP,mainly due to local sales tax refund policy. I don't really need anything else, especially no upgrades just for the looks as in color and interior.

I would have gone with AWD, but that wasn't possible for mentioned tax reasons. The only option to fit in was the PUP, and I really would not want to miss the premium HEPA filter system. I am so sick of ICE pollution, so when on the road with a premium EV like a Tesla I don't want to suffer the stink no more. With that, no point in pano roof, I would never open the roof or any windows with the HEPA filter system taking care of clean air.

Oh well, the AP, especially the TACC, but I'll have to add it after delivery, again because of mentioned tax reasons.

All in all, the base S 60 without any extras is already a great car, and I would not have any buyers remorse if that's all I'd got, but the PUP and AP really is what makes it the greatest, things I'll appreciate every single day. :)

@Master One I was topping my tank at the gas station today, as I have a long drive early tomorrow... but as I was standing there having to inhale the fumes, all I could think was I can't wait until I'll soon no longer have to do this. I also got the PUP for the HEPA filter, but the bigger selling points for me were the improved lights for added night-time/fog safety.

I went for the base S 60 with just the PUP,mainly due to local sales tax refund policy.

Can you please fill me in on what and where that refund is? If I travel to buy a Tesla, can I get sales tax breaks I can't get near home?

I went for the base S 60 with just the PUP,mainly due to local sales tax refund policy.the premium HEPA filter system. I am so sick of ICE pollution, so when on the road with a premium EV like a Tesla I don't want to suffer the stink no more.

My understanding is that HEPA removes particles, not gases, fwiw.

Can you please fill me in on what and where that refund is? If I travel to buy a Tesla, can I get sales tax breaks I can't get near home?
Nope, that's clearly specific to my country, with the conditions of buying an EV for less than 80.000,- EUR as a company.

Bio-Weapon Defense Mode
Model S now features a Medical grade HEPA air filtration system, which removes at least 99.97% of particulate exhaust pollution and effectively all allergens, bacteria and other contaminants from cabin air. The bioweapon defense mode creates positive pressure inside the cabin to protect occupants.

Any "stink" one can suffer in traffic pretty much always has to do with particles, hence remove the particles and you remove the "stink". That's my none-scientific take on that matter, have a look at the video from Bjorn Nyland about the Durian for more details.

Reactions: javawolfpack

#132javawolfpack, First off every time I fill my car now i stand there inhaling fumes with my eyes up to the sky dreaming of the day my S comes in. Mid August cannot come fast enough!

Eric: IDK if you already know this but the FED tax credit is $7500. New York also has $ 2000 tax credit on top of that. You pay the full price upon delivery but then get the $9500 back come tax time next year
You pay taxes on where you live not where you pick the car up. And stay out of California. :) They hit you with another tax just because.

Reactions: javawolfpack
I love your strategy. It's same one I had. Then I was like yeah it's worth $2500 for better seats. Gotta have the tech package or whatever it's called now. Bam, $3000 more. Autopilot, hmm, well don't need it but it's probably going to eat away at me till I finally caugh up $3000 for it. Might as well pay $2500 now at 1.5% interest. Paint? I don't know, do I really want black? Bam! $67,500 after tax credit instead of $58,500 going total base. Crap! What have I done?

I'm assuming there's no nighmarish scenario of stop/go driving and heavy AC use that won't get me home from a 150 mile trip, right?
On the contrary, other than the A/C a Tesla uses virtually no power while sitting in traffic, unlike an ICE sitting there burning dino juice just so that it doesn't stall. If you accelerate gently (and/or leave the acceleration to TACC in such traffic, which is really the right answer) then you're range may often be better in such traffic than on the highway.

I work in an office with an underground garage. Without air suspension the Tesla (loaner) routinely hit bottom as I go up and down the ramps. With the air suspension I have it set to high and have not had a problem. If you have a similar situation you should consider the suspension upgrade.