Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crook advantage - No Alarm on window break

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was parked in a BJs parking lot near Natomas in Sacramento. Came out to a broken rear quarter window, my seat folded forward and no alarm triggered. Luckily I had nothing in the car, so they didn’t proceed to bust my hatchback window or any other windows. I am very surprised that the Alarm in this $100k vehicle doesn’t go off upon a window break, when armed. What’s the deal Tesla? This seems like common knowledge in the thief circle and people are brazenly doing this break in just to check to see if anything valuable is in the trunk! Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future? Thanks

Attachments

• ADAADE49-5E30-4D96-AB57-B493020C5C8F.jpeg
    ADAADE49-5E30-4D96-AB57-B493020C5C8F.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: Pluto
I was parked in a BJs parking lot near Natomas in Sacramento. Came out to a broken rear quarter window, my seat folded forward and no alarm triggered. Luckily I had nothing in the car, so they didn’t proceed to bust my hatchback window or any other windows. I am very surprised that the Alarm in this $100k vehicle doesn’t go off upon a window break, when armed. What’s the deal Tesla? This seems like common knowledge in the thief circle and people are brazenly doing this break in just to check to see if anything valuable is in the trunk! Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future? Thanks

I agree. My understanding was to enable child locks on rear doors so they can't open rear doors from inside which doesn't set alarm off because car thinks there's an occupant inside. Crappy work around, but...Maybe only set them when parking in a questionable area?

I think most car alarms installed by manufacturers are passive alarms that do not go off when window is smashed. That's why the thieves do smash and grab. I was told by a car rental agent to roll the rental car's window down enough that someone could stick their hand thru it when park at an unsafe area. That way the thieves will know there is nothing valuable in the car. The worst thing is to leave a jacket or blanket in the backseat. They will think you have a purse or SLR camera under.

And will the glass break deter the brazen perps--it takes them just a few seconds to flip down the seat and look for booty. The noise really won't scare them much. Are they concerned that involved citizens in the greater SF Bay Area will intervene?

Couple of posters above mentioned that passive alarms do not sound off when a window is broken, and that no oem alarm system will sound. That's wrong information. The Volt OEM alarm system will go off when a window is smashed, I have personal experience with this. The Chevrolet Colorado truck alarm will sound upon any impact, I've tested this.

Reactions: croman