Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross-border charging electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The flotation :smile:

This is an interesting read: Cleantech EV Charging Infrastructure Briefing 8th December 2011

indeed interesting!
Nice presentation!
Many comments of people at the end who do know nothing about EV's
No EV consumer comments!
Polar and chargemaster-chargingstations are 2 different entities, but profits are from both added!
2 entities to protect the chargingstation-business?

If we add up all supporters from zerocarbonworld, and add consumer-comments it would have a much better presentation!

The chargemaster-presentation gives me no confidence in its future!

Last edited:
It's probably already been posted, but charging in the Netherlands is free, just as it is in Belgium and Germany. So there are no benefits and anybody with an EV could order a charge card. We're trying to realise that with that charge card, you can charge in different countries.
If you can charge without the specific charge card, people are going to use the stations for other things, such as BBQ's (I once saw an electric BBQ connected to a charge station).

If you can charge without the specific charge card, people are going to use the stations for other things, such as BBQ's (I once saw an electric BBQ connected to a charge station).
That does not work as we move to Charging Station connectors with protocol controllers... obviously, someone could design a mennekes-to-bbq interface but I doubt it's worth the effort for a few cents worth of electricity :wink:

We see that more OEM's are using the Mennekes plug as vehicle connector. When your car is equipped with a Mennekes plug and a cable for Mode 2 charging (with in-cable control box), you can use that cable with control box on the charge station, and the charge station 'thinks' that there is a vehicle connected...

When your car is equipped with a Mennekes plug and a cable for Mode 2 charging (with in-cable control box), you can use that cable with control box on the charge station, and the charge station 'thinks' that there is a vehicle connected...
Sorry, but that does not work.... until a 'car' is connected to the 'mennekes' plug no power will be supplied because the contractor in the charging station will not energise.

Take a look at this diagram (The J1772 and 'mennekes' connectors use the same protocol);

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/ExampleEVSE