TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cross Border driving and Navigation

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by mrgoodkat, Aug 13, 2016.

1. mrgoodkat

mrgoodkat New Member

Hey guys,

I'm planning to reserve a Model X for the wife, but was wondering what would happen to the Google Maps navigation while driving the car in Guangdong. Will the HK sim card allow roaming and access to the maps? Anything else I would have to pay attention to when using the car in China?

2. IanFromHKG

IanFromHKG Member

Isn't Google still blocked in China? It was when I was last there (end of last year)

3. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

Google services aren't blocked if your SIM is based in HK and you're roaming (roaming fees obviously apply and hella slow).

don't know how or if this translates to the sim in the model S (technically is just a standard phone card in there too)

4. davidkwok

davidkwok Member

The 3G SIM provided by Tesla is for 4 years in HK only, No roaming. Data can be connected to your mobile phone's hotspot via WIFI if you have data service in China.